What's new

Static IP Address, Customized Name, AI Protection Pro Parental Control with Changing MAC Addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
Newer mobile phones changes its MAC address on a regular basis to a random MAC address.

In this case, how to use AI Protection Pro Parental Control as device cannot be identified uniquely based on its MAC address. Changing MAC address also does not allow the device to be assigned a static IP and a customized name.

IIRC most mobile devices will reuse the same "random" MAC address for a given SSID (or possibly BSSID?).

At least as of android 11 if they repeat it's of a large pool.

Just disable that "feature" on the phone for your (or any particular) network. It's part of the settings for "the connection."

Edit: I only said it that way because I know it's proper, but my sensibile it tees go with '... for "the connection".'

Last edited:
Newer mobile phones changes its MAC address on a regular basis to a random MAC address.

In this case, how to use AI Protection Pro Parental Control as device cannot be identified uniquely based on its MAC address. Changing MAC address also does not allow the device to be assigned a static IP and a customized name.
One way is to enable WIFI MAC Filter to allow only the devices you specify. This has to be done for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.
Then turn off MAC randomization on the phones/tablets. Make sure the phone/tablets are using their hardware MAC when you set the WIFI MAC Filtering to allow devices.
Now you can set up the parental control time scheduling to use the phone/tablet MAC address.

The other way is to be a parent and take the devices away from the kids at a certain time.

Static IP addresses are assigned at the client. Manually assigned/reserved are assigned by the DHCP server which in your case is the router.

First, turn off MAC randomization.

Then enable and set the WiFi MAC Filter to allow only devices you specify.

At least as of android 11 if they repeat it's of a large pool.

Just disable that "feature" on the phone for your (or any particular) network. It's part of the settings for "the connection."

Edit: I only said it that way because I know it's proper, but my sensibile it tees go with '... for "the connection".'

Just disable that "feature" on the phone for your (or any particular) network.
This is what I have done.

I was looking at some alternative to identify the device by not MAC address but some other unique identifier if available when device is not in my control. Looks like there is none except MAC address.

Starting with Android 10 wifi Mac address randomization is the default setting. If you want a fixed mac address you have to find the stored SSID in the phone settings and change it fixed MAC. Windows 11 on the other hand is still defaulting to a fixed wifi mac address, though you have the option of going into the saved SSID and randomizing it if you wish. I dont have any experience with apple products.

With Android 12 I found this description:
Under the non-persistent randomization type, which is used for some networks in Android 12 or higher, the Wi-Fi module re-randomizes the MAC address at the start of every connection or the framework uses the existing randomized MAC address to connect to the network. The Wi-Fi module re-randomizes the MAC address in the following situations:

• The DHCP lease duration has expired and more than 4 hours have elapsed since the device last disconnected from this network.
  • The current randomized MAC for the network profile was generated more than 24 hours ago. MAC address re-randomization only happens at the start of a new connection. Wi-Fi won't actively disconnect for the purpose of re-randomizing a MAC address.
If none of these situations apply, the framework uses the previously randomized MAC address to connect to the network.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!