What's new

Static IP for ASUS nodes (XD4N) on ZenWiFi AX Mini Mesh AP mode Command Line?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CIR-Engineering

Occasional Visitor
So I just got the ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini Mesh WiFi 6 System (AX1800 XD4 3PK) off Amazon and am very happy with it. For various reasons, I am forced to use the AT&T ISP router, so I have the ZenWiFi (XD4R) router configured in access point mode. Because of this, there is no way to assign the nodes static IP addresses through the ASUS GUI. The AT&T router I am forced to use is garbage and will not allow me to assign the nodes static IP addresses that are outside of my dynamic IP range either :mad:.

The nodes are setup with wired backhaul and I would like to assign static IP addresses for the Ethernet connection to each node. I have seen mention of using command line to accomplish this, but I have not been able to find any threads anywhere here or searching Google that explain explicitly how to do this. I can SSH into each node and look at the configuration with ip or ifconfig commands and have found that the Ethernet connection is on br0. However, I have two problems. When I execute "ifconfig inet 192.168.1.6/24" (where 6 is the IP I want the node to have), the node reboots. Of course when I execute this command the change is not permanent and the IP address assignment is instantaneously lost once the node comes back up. I figured I could just modify the network configuration file at "/etc/network/interfaces" (assuming it's there), but to get into "ect" requires root permission it would seem.

To do what I want to do, do I need to "root" the nodes? Has anyone been able to figure out how to "root" the nodes or other ASUS hardware running Linux? Is it necessary?

So I am stuck unable to set static IP addresses in each of my two nodes. It's a 1st world problem I know, but I run a very professional and tidy network in my home lab and really want these nodes on specific IP addresses so that I can find them and so that they are grouped with the ASUS "router".

Could anyone please help me?

Thank you and kind regards,
craigr

Last edited:
How about turning off the DHCP server on the router and setting up something more flexible as a standalone server. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole. That way you can get LAN-wide ad-blocking as well as DHCP and DNS.

Bridge the AT&T router?
Turn off the WIFI in the AT&T router and connect the Asus as a router and do AiMesh. If needed set up DMZ on the AT&T router to the Asus.
Once you have the Asus mesh system set up you can manually assign the node an IP address in LAN/DHCP Server. This does work as I have an Asus router with two mesh nodes that have manually assigned addresses. Setting up a static address on a node is not possible...yet.

Hey guys, I really do appreciate the ideas, but I just want to do what I said; put static IP addresses in the nodes if at all possible. I often change router configs and don’t want to have to remember and redo IP address reservations.

I also run a Brocade ICX6450 L3 enterprise switch, so it is actually possible to assign addresses to the nodes with it, but I really really really want to have the static IPs stored in the nodes themselves.

I have work arounds, I but I’d like to discover the answer to my original question. Can I log into each node with SSH to manually assign IP addresses directly to each of the to nodes using the CLI.

Thanks again,
craigr

Last edited:
How about turning off the DHCP server on the router and setting up something more flexible as a standalone server. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole. That way you can get LAN-wide ad-blocking as well as DHCP and DNS.
Just to follow up, I could easily have my Brocade IXC6450 or my server act as the DHCP server for the network. I do plan to reorganize my network soon and intend to have the 6450 take over routing duty. However, I still want to put IP addresses in each node device directly. Let's just say I'm a bit OCD about this :eek:. Like I said, 1st world problems.

craigr

Bridge the AT&T router?
Turn off the WIFI in the AT&T router and connect the Asus as a router and do AiMesh. If needed set up DMZ on the AT&T router to the Asus.
Once you have the Asus mesh system set up you can manually assign the node an IP address in LAN/DHCP Server. This does work as I have an Asus router with two mesh nodes that have manually assigned addresses. Setting up a static address on a node is not possible...yet.
I do actually intend to bridge the ATT router (or it can't actually really be bridged, but close) and have the ICX6450 take over routing duty. However, there is no way to get WAN to a good location to the ASUS XD4R to act effectively in the WiFi mesh. There's just not a good location for the ASUS router along the WAN wire path, and this is a small 1904 Victorian house so running wires is difficult. Your idea would work with the ASUS XD4R in router mode especially since I only need one Ethernet output because the first place the Ethernet goes from the router is to the 6450 switch. However, I will want the 6450 to act as the router once I am finished and not the ASUS XD4R. I could then use the 6450 to reserve and assign IP addresses, and this is exactly what I will do if it proves impossible to give the nodes static IPs. But like I said, I am just wishing to give the nodes IP addresses directly like most other devices.

I did send ASUS a feature request to be able to assign IP's directly to nodes from the GUI (app or web) and told them my router is in AP mode, but I suspect that even if ASUS listens and implements, that it will be quite some time until they do so.

I have seen mention in several threads that people have done this using the CLI, I just need a link or a hint.

craigr

I too am having issue with the nodes.
I want to use the XD4R wired as a backhaul to my RT-AX58U router. The XD4R is auto set to IP 192.168.50.1 and RT-AX58U to 192.168.1.1 so they won't work together.
I have changed the IP of the XD4R to 192.168.1.2 but now it won't find the XD4N nodes, because, I assume they are also on the 192.168.50.1 net (and possible have the same default IP address?)
I cant believe that ASUS havent allowed for such a configuration to be adopted by a simple means. Many users will want to assign their own network adresses and it should not be a great leap to auto set the nodes to the XD4R net from the router or individually (and just take a look at the default SSID assigned). So far I have a single node WiFi 6 and no apparent means to expand it!
Device Discovery advises:
Device SSID IP Address Subnet Mask
ZenWiFi_XD4 RT-AX58U 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 (the XD4Ra set)
ZenWiFi_XD4 48E3971738C7823BE84C1B03D99486A 192.168.50.1 255.255.255.0 (a node, I assume! not sure why only one found!)
'Your computer and wireless router are on a different subnet mask. Ensure they are on the same subnet mask.'

Don't try using the ASUS Router app!
It finds the WiFi network but cannot connect to devices on it. If you attempt to set IP Binding you cannot enter a valid MAC code beyond one digit; it defaults to a single colon : and thats it. Yet another ASUS software bug. It's no wonder we can get anything working!

There are three ways to configure the nodes:
1. With the XD4R set as the only router and the two XD4N as WiFi repeater nodes.
2. With the XD4R set as AP mode connctde to my own router and the two XD4N as WiFi repeater nodes.
3. With the XD4R and the two XD4N as WiFi repeater nodes.

As method 1 is the only information I can find from ASUS, I found this worked with my own router disconnected with all three connected. Clearly this appears to be the only method directly supported; however it does not cover alternative methods of providing AiMesh.
In method 2 I found only the XD4R would connect. ASUS kept stating the other nodes could not be found, even though they were in method 1. Strange? Is this another software bug?
In method 3 the XD4R and nodes could not be found. Clearly ASUS have way of connecting the modes using method 1 which fails to even find them using any other method.

I have spent a lot of hours trying different things to get all three nodes working the way I want. My conclusion is that ASUS would need to provide additional information or software fixes for alternative methods of connecting AiMesh devices. At the moment it appears that the concept of AiMesh cannot be achieved. Contacting ASUS just results in a link to method 1. It appears they don't understand anything else. On the basis of my attempts and the lack of support I can only conclude that AiMesh doesn't work in its current form and with the devices and software provided. It appears to be not fit for purpose.
Meanwhile, I'll try and get more information from ASUS.

What if you run an ethernet wire from your RT-AX58U switch port to your XD4R Wan port? You should be able to configure the mesh node properly without having to worry about what IP network address range is set as the default for the XD4R.

Its not that simple, i'm afraid.
I am already running the cable as you suggest.
I managed to find a contact from ASUS that is (hopefully) assisting me. The issue appears to be more software bugs that you can throw a stick at!
After getting a success message for both nodes added to AiMesh they flash blue indicating they are not connected.
Once this happens you no longer get the choice to add them again.
WiFi Analyser app confirms they are not connected.
The router gui then either indicates one is connected and the other is not, or both are offline depending upon which tab you look at.
So according to ASUS I have both connected, one connected, and none connected all at the same time! The future of quantum computing has arrived!
I have found ASUS products to be good but the software very poor and full of obvious and apparently untested bugs.
I'm wondering if Merlin might be a better option?

ASUS have advised I should return the XD4 for a full refund or replacement.
It appears they are unwilling to repair the flaws in their software and until they do AiMesh will not work properly.
Should have bought Netgear!

I am waiting for Asus to explain why the XD4 in wireless router mode and with both WiFi channels radio on doesn't have a wireless tab in the Client List and cannot recognise any WiFi devices attached to it while they show up on my RT-AX58U router.
With no WiFi functionality there can be no Aimesh!
Also, I have asked them why WiFi connected devices such as my phone and TP-Link repeater show as wired devices.
I doubt I'll get a response so will have to wait for the next firmware, assuming there is one.

I have sent 45 emails directly to ASUS support and another five using their website, detailing obvious software flaws when attempting to get AiMesh working between the RT-AX58U router and XD4 nodes.
Needless to say whatever I have tried has failed because of software issues such as turning off the node WiFi after connection, then advising you to move the nodes nearer to the router. I cannot fathom how any distance between two communicating devices can make a difference when the software has turned off the nodes WiFi capability.
I have received only two replies:
1. Please provide more information. (despite providing detailed procedures followed, the results, system logs, images, and videos each time).
I have found that the website asks for attachments but doesn't have any way I could find to send them.
2. Send them back for a refund.
I cannot believe that ASUS are allowed to advertise a product's functionality then walk away when it clearly doesn't work as described and has clearly never been tested.
Does anyone know of an ASUS action group where customers with unresolved problems can get some collective leverage?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!