What's new

Static IP on LAN Subnet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TortugaRanger

New Around Here
Hi,

I have CenturyLink fiber optic running through an actiontec 3000A router using a dynamic IP. It works. I then opted for a static IP assignment because I had added a web server to my system. Once the static IP became available it took several calls with their tech people before I got someone who actually knew what they were doing.

I had expected the static IP address would replace my dynamic IP. Instead, the tech had me configure a LAN subnet on the router and assigned it to Ethernet port #1 on the router and with my static IP address, mask and gateway. At this point I was told that 3 of the ports (#2-4) would use the dynamic IP and that #1 would use the static IP and that I should connect my server to port #1 and change my servers static IP address to match.

I'm no networking expert so my question is what's going on here? Do I now have effectively 2 separate LANs, each connected to its own WAN via a single router? Do these LANs talk to each other via the router? I've googled this question til I'm cross eyed but could not find any info on the arrangement.

Any insight on how this works and how to understand it would be greatly appreciated.