What's new

Static route on AC-86U not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jazz2000

New Around Here
Hello!

I need to setup the static route on my AC-86U (firmware 386.1_2). I did all steps from this instruction:
https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000172213-Blocking-Public-DNS-Asus-Router
My router setup:
1613393258776.png

1613393289403.png

But when I'm testing the results by this article (https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000172173-Testing-Your-Static-Routes) the hosts 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are pinging.
1613393194855.png

1613393218890.png

Could the community help me to setup the static route, please?

Why are you trying to set a static route to Google DNS servers that use the Anycast system? Just won't work.

Edit: Ah, trying to block DNS servers. Still, that is not the way to do that. Better to turn on DNS Filter in LAN/DNSFilter, Enable DNS-Based Filtering and choose Global Filter Mode to Router.

Last edited:
I'm trying to setup the openVPN, on Synology NAS. And I have an issue with routing Synology net 10.8.0.0 with 192.168.2.0. The above example is the easiest way to describe the problem.

The above example is the easiest way to describe the problem.
No that's just making things more confusing. Trying to break the routing for your entire LAN is not going to resolve a VPN issue. Why don't you explain what the actual problem is that you're trying to resolve.

I'm trying to setup the openVPN, on Synology NAS. And I have an issue with routing Synology net 10.8.0.0 with 192.168.2.0. The above example is the easiest way to describe the problem.

I don't get the connection. It's not obvious how a static route intended to block access to Google DNS has anything to do w/ your NAS and OpenVPN (client? server?). They seem completely unrelated (at least from this side of the forum). As @ColinTaylor suggests, you need to do a better job explaining your actual problem. Be specific.

Last edited:
Are you trying to set up OpenVPN to access the NAS from the internet? If so the place to set up OpenVPN is on the router and set it up as a server with Internet and LAN access. You will be able to access the NAS once you connect to the router OpenVPN server. I have a Synology NAS and I can access it this way. Solves doing port forwarding in the router and is secure. Best to not expose the NAS to the internet.

Oh, just make sure you use an OpenVPN port other than default or you will be bombarded with connection attempts.

Thank you guys! I agree that I created a bad help request. I will play with the VPN server on the router side.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!