1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Stationed Overseas - Losing Internet

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by eriddler, Feb 25, 2020.

1. eriddler

eriddler Occasional Visitor

Appreciate everyone's help on the WLCEVENT issue. Now I keep on randomly losing connection to the internet. I am behind a Fritz!Box in Germany with an ASUS on official firmware, using TorGuard via L2TP. All of our devices on the ASUS router lose internet, and this is what the log is giving me:

Feb 25 19:43:11 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
    Feb 25 19:43:17 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
    Feb 25 19:43:23 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
    Feb 25 19:43:29 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
    Feb 25 19:43:32 pppd[876]: Overriding mtu 1500 to 1400
    Feb 25 19:43:32 pppd[876]: Overriding mru 1500 to mtu value 1400
    Feb 25 19:43:35 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
    Feb 25 19:43:38 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface ppp5 doesn't exist
    Feb 25 19:43:46 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[755]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (39240/22861); closing down

Thoughts?? Need to get this fixed ASAP as it is driving the family (and myself) bonkers.

EDIT: Using a powerline adapter between the German Fritz!Box and the ASUS router...could one of those adapters (if going bad) cause this type of issue?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

There is something wrong with the router's connection to the internet (Fritz!Box). It's losing packets.

You said the connection is over powerline so that would definitely be the prime suspect. You could also try disabling the VPN to see if it's just an issue with your VPN link.

3. eriddler

eriddler Occasional Visitor

Okay, going to have the VPN off for the next ~24 hrs to rule that out (hopefully). If that works, then I'm guessing the powerline adapter is going bad (one of them....)

4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

If you get to the point where you are checking the powerline adapters it may not be them but electrical interference. I had a pair and every time the wife switched on the garbage disposal the link went down.

The wife never could remember not to run the disposal when I was on line so if I was doing something important I first unplugged the disposal. There are filters that you can try if you can isolate the offending device.