What's new

Stationed Overseas - Losing Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eriddler

Occasional Visitor
Appreciate everyone's help on the WLCEVENT issue. Now I keep on randomly losing connection to the internet. I am behind a Fritz!Box in Germany with an ASUS on official firmware, using TorGuard via L2TP. All of our devices on the ASUS router lose internet, and this is what the log is giving me:

Feb 25 19:43:11 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 25 19:43:17 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 25 19:43:23 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 25 19:43:29 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 25 19:43:32 pppd[876]: Overriding mtu 1500 to 1400
Feb 25 19:43:32 pppd[876]: Overriding mru 1500 to mtu value 1400
Feb 25 19:43:35 dnsmasq[335]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 25 19:43:38 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface ppp5 doesn't exist
Feb 25 19:43:46 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[755]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (39240/22861); closing down

Thoughts?? Need to get this fixed ASAP as it is driving the family (and myself) bonkers.

EDIT: Using a powerline adapter between the German Fritz!Box and the ASUS router...could one of those adapters (if going bad) cause this type of issue?

Last edited:
Feb 25 19:43:46 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[755]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (39240/22861); closing down
There is something wrong with the router's connection to the internet (Fritz!Box). It's losing packets.

You said the connection is over powerline so that would definitely be the prime suspect. You could also try disabling the VPN to see if it's just an issue with your VPN link.

There is something wrong with the router's connection to the internet (Fritz!Box). It's losing packets.

You said the connection is over powerline so that would definitely be the prime suspect. You could also try disabling the VPN to see if it's just an issue with your VPN link.

Okay, going to have the VPN off for the next ~24 hrs to rule that out (hopefully). If that works, then I'm guessing the powerline adapter is going bad (one of them....)

I'm guessing the powerline adapter is going bad

If you get to the point where you are checking the powerline adapters it may not be them but electrical interference. I had a pair and every time the wife switched on the garbage disposal the link went down.

The wife never could remember not to run the disposal when I was on line so if I was doing something important I first unplugged the disposal. There are filters that you can try if you can isolate the offending device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!