What's new

Still on 380.57 due to client 2, 4 cpu vpn boots. Question?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rango

Hello guys. Question to Merlin or John or any advanced member that understands the changes in code.

I am still on Merlin 380.57 code release on 87u due it having cpu boost on vpn client 2 and 4 for almost double vpn speed of any 380.57+ firmware. I have tried .58 code and it eliminated those vpn clients boost on 2 and 4 channel as well i tried on 1 or 3 or 5th channel. The boost was GONE! That could have been due to PIA optimization i'm not aware of but fact is speeds dropped. I've tried few release after that and it was gone.

This is my first important feature on my router. Second is stability and 3rd security.

So does 380.57 have any security flaws that can be exploited by experience hacker?

Is there ANY release after 30.57 that would still have cpu vpn boost on channels, that is more stable release then 380.57 or any other while addressing security bugs at the same time.?

Also isn't newest openvpn code incompatible with VPN providers as they tend to run older code themselves and it's best to match their openvpn code? I guess what i'm asking also what would be openvpn code most compatible with most or all vpn providers for best speeds.

So should i remain on 380.57? My only concern now is the security bugs that could be exploited by experience hackers. It's getting long in the tooth?

On the side note, unrelated, my android phone 5.1 lollipop is getting hacked at will few times a month so i know staying on outdated platform is a problem. I can't really update to 6.0 or 7.1 due to photo mods i have on phone but i think those phones also can be exploited as well (backdoors). Factory reset and new install of ROM didn't help. I guess i'm trying to secure router as phone is lost cause i think at this point. I posted on XDA and no real solution. Anyway. Just wanted to address router. Thank you in advance.

Also any recommendations for best vpn with best speeds on our asus routers? I have 90Mbps connection.

Last edited:

Thank you. Any following release that has those boosts that addresses major security flaws and is most stable? .58 lost speed. .59 i think too. I knew i tried few after and stayed on .57.

If there is release that keeps boost which one?

Thank you. Any following release that has those boosts that addresses major security flaws and is most stable? .58 lost speed. .59 i think too. I knew i tried few after and stayed on .57.

380.57 is a danger to your router and your LAN devices as it has many vulnerabilities that have long since been fixed by Asus or @RMerlin in later releases. 380.65/66 or @john9527's latest fork are highly recommended.
Since you are going to update from a very old version, a factory reset after update with a subsequent manual configurtion is mandatory.

I have no idea what "boost" you are referring to. Nothing has been changed performance-wise to OpenVPN in a few years now.

I have no idea what "boost" you are referring to. Nothing has been changed performance-wise to OpenVPN in a few years now.

Merlin i'm referring to this, from changelog:

380.57 (24-Dec-2015)

- FIXED: Openvpn clients 3 through 5 were all run on the first
CPU core. They are now properly alternated like the
first two (odd on CPU1, even on CPU0)

This vpn code boost as in splitting vpn core load to different cores was ~40% faster then .58 or .59 code.

then you changed to this

380.58 (20-Mar-2016)

- FIXED: OpenVPN clients were run on the wrong CPU cores.
Now, odd instances correctly run on the second core.

....and all clients 1-5 are lacking performance seen in .57. I'm not sure what specific code changes you did as that's coding but that changed then and .58 or .59 was 40% slower then .57 on vpn throughput relating to cpu throughput relating to encryption and cpu.
Client 2 and 4 on .57 were faster 40% then client 1,3,5 on .57 and also faster then vpn clients 1 threw 5 on .58 and.59. I haven't updated to newer code due to THIS only change.

Thank you sir

Last edited:
The only change in 380.58 was to swap on which core the clients ran, as they were running on the wrong core. Clients 2 and 4 used to be faster because they were running on the second (least used core). With the change I did, it's now the opposite: client 1 (the most commonly used one), 3 and 5 run on the (least used) second core, while client 2 and 4 run on the more heavily used core 1.

if ALL client instances (both even and odd numbers) are now running slow for you, then something else is affecting your performance. Nobody ever reported any new performance issue.

I would like to upgrade but I can't lose ~40% boost. I tried 3 times with newer versions .58 even on client 5 and 3 and boost was gone. Maybe ppl are not testing their vpn speeds. Most ppl don't even have vpn, or even have a good one that provides 50Mbps threwput. I have 90Mbps ISP so on .57 client 2, and 4 i get 34-40Mbps on PIA vpn but as soon as i upgraded to .58 and .59 3 or 5 client dropped to 28Mbps, same on 2,4 on .58. It's possible PIA done some optimization on their end that matches .57 openvpn version code but i don't know if you changed openvpn code on .58. But then again 1,3,5 client on .57 matches 1-5 clients on .58 speeds so to me it looks like something on client 2 and 4 on .57 code. I don't know. I don't wanna stay on .57 forever either. :(

I would like to upgrade but I can't lose ~40% boost. I tried 3 times with newer versions .58 even on client 5 and 3 and boost was gone. Maybe ppl are not testing their vpn speeds. Most ppl don't even have vpn, or even have a good one that provides 50Mbps threwput. I have 90Mbps ISP so on .57 client 2, and 4 i get 34-40Mbps on PIA vpn but as soon as i upgraded to .58 and .59 3 or 5 client dropped to 28Mbps, same on 2,4 on .58. It's possible PIA done some optimization on their end that matches .57 openvpn version code but i don't know if you changed openvpn code on .58. But then again 1,3,5 client on .57 matches 1-5 clients on .58 speeds so to me it looks like something on client 2 and 4 on .57 code. I don't know. I don't wanna stay on .57 forever either. :(

I have also noticed that speeds have declined.
I've had trouble getting my overclocked AC-68U to deliver more than 25 Mbps whereas I know for a fact I've previously tested it around 40 as well. (even higher a few times)

I've never been able to figure out the cause though I have ruled out slow servers.
I also run the clients on the second core and use the 128 bit encryption.
Perhaps there is something in the more recent firmwares after all. I can't recall if the issues began in conjunction with a firmware update or not. All I know is that speeds have dropped considerably, and no amount of tweaking or anything has been able to bring them back.

Also worth noting that I had the same issue with a totally different VPN. So I am inclined to think that something in the firmware has changed.