What's new

[Solved] Stock Firmware - RT-AC1900 (WAN Still Drops)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ihoman202

Occasional Visitor
SOLUTION THAT WORKED: Log in to your Asus router settings. Under... WAN (tab) > Internet Connection > (scroll down to) DHCP query frequency > (select) Normal Mode , then click "Apply" tab at the bottom of the page

Step 2 call Spectrum and activate the router on your account. I also had to call Spectrum because they had to activate the device on my account. Even Though I bought it my self oddly enough they now activate all routers on accounts regardless if it's theirs or BYOD.

I recently bought the RT-AC1900 and the WAN still randomly drops. It has the stock firmware on it, not sure if I am going to flash this one to Merlin but I am very tempted to do so since all my other ASUS devices uses the merlin firmware. The firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_45717-gadd52a8 and the ISP is Charter Spectrum with 400 Mbps / 20 Mbps package.

It happens randomly without warning and we had a technician from Charter Spectrum come to resolve the issue and looking online it seems the RT-AC1900 is just a rebranded RT-AC68U with major problems.

I see some people here have come up with unofficial fixes, can you list where I would find these. I used the search but I am having trouble finding the correct words and tags to use for searching on these unofficial fixes.

Last edited:
I recently bought the RT-AC1900 and the WAN still randomly drops. It has the stock firmware on it, not sure if I am going to flash this one to Merlin but I am very tempted to do so since all my other ASUS devices uses the merlin firmware. The firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_45717-gadd52a8 and the ISP is Charter Spectrum with 400 Mbps / 20 Mbps package.

It happens randomly without warning and we had a technician from Charter Spectrum come to resolve the issue and looking online it seems the RT-AC1900 is just a rebranded RT-AC68U with major problems.

I see some people here have come up with unofficial fixes, can you list where I would find these. I used the search but I am having trouble finding the correct words and tags to use for searching on these unofficial fixes.
WAN drops used to be a frequent problem with Charter service and Asus routers. It had to do with the way some Internet providers including Charter handles WAN DHCP queries. There is a setting you can change in the Asus router settings that could help resolve this issue. Try this...

Log in to your Asus router settings. Under... WAN (tab) > Internet Connection > (scroll down to) DHCP query frequency > (select) Normal Mode , then click "Apply" tab at the bottom of the page

I would also recommend using a high quality Cat 6 or Cat 7 interconnect cable between the modem and the Asus router. Run your speed tests (such as speedtest.net) to make sure you have low latency and your paid speeds. Charter/Spectrum could be having connection issues with their high speed cable internet service to your location which would require them to service the modem equipment, settings or the physical cable line.

Last edited:
WAN drops used to be a frequent problem with Charter service and Asus routers. It had to do with the way some Internet providers including Charter handles WAN DHCP queries. There is a setting you can change in the Asus router settings that could help resolve this issue. Try this...

Log in to your Asus router settings. Under... WAN (tab) > Internet Connection > (scroll down to) DHCP query frequency > (select) Normal Mode , then click "Apply" tab at the bottom of the page

I would also recommend using a high quality Cat 6 or Cat 7 interconnect cable between the modem and the Asus router. Run your speed tests (such as speedtest.net) to make sure you have low latency and your paid speeds. Charter/Spectrum could be having connection issues with their high speed cable internet service to your location which would require them to service the modem equipment, settings or the physical cable line.

I think this indeed fix the issue, I'll cross my fingers because I haven't reached the one hour limit on the DHCP lease so if it drops I'll let you know.

I think this indeed fix the issue, I'll cross my fingers because I haven't reached the one hour limit on the DHCP lease so if it drops I'll let you know.
It's good to know that you seem to be having some success now. Hopefully that did fix the WAN drop problem. Let us know if you have any more updated information and if you still are experiencing a more stable connection.

It's good to know that you seem to be having some success now. Hopefully that did fix the WAN drop problem. Let us know if you have any more updated information and if you still are experiencing a more stable connection.

Yes this did help: I also had to call Spectrum because they had to activate the device on my account. Even Though I bought it my self oddly enough they now activate all routers on accounts regardless if it's theirs or BYOD.

I also had to call Spectrum because they had to activate the device on my account. Even Though I bought it my self oddly enough they now activate all routers on accounts regardless if it's theirs or BYOD.

That's odd. I know they provision for the cable modem but I've never seen a cable ISP care about the router.

OE

That's odd. I know they provision for the cable modem but I've never seen a cable ISP care about the router.

OE
Yes, it's kind of strange but Charter internet service has been working this way for a long time. All devices that get handed a WAN IP address from their internet service via DHCP are registered and recorded by their servers. If the router MAC address changes or any device getting their WAN IP address changes you usually have to power cycle the cable modem and other equipment in sequence so that their servers can update the information. Unless customers understand this they can run into problems when they try to switch routers or devices requiring a WAN IP address.

However, I haven't heard of it being "required" to call their tech support to register a router for their service like you would to provision a new cable modem. Usually the router or device registration is done automatically when you install a new router connected to the modem... and sequentially power cycle all the equipment (turn off everything then turn on modem first and wait a few minutes then turn on the router, then turn on or connect other devices, etc..).

Last edited:
Yes, it's kind of strange but Charter internet service has been working this way for a long time. All devices that get handed a WAN IP address from their internet service via DHCP are registered and recorded by their servers. If the router MAC address changes or any device getting their WAN IP address changes you usually have to power cycle the m modem and other equipment in sequence so that their servers can update the information. Unless customers understand this they can run into problems when they try to switch routers.

However, I haven't heard of the need to call in their tech support to register a router for their service. Usually it's done automatically when you install a new router connected to the modem... and then power cycle in sequence all the equipment.

Can you expand on the power cycle sequence, please?

Yes this did help: I also had to call Spectrum because they had to activate the device on my account. Even Though I bought it my self oddly enough they now activate all routers on accounts regardless if it's theirs or BYOD.
It's good to know the posted information helped. Thanks for posting an update so that other forum readers can reference what worked for you.

Can you expand on the power cycle sequence, please?
I used to do on site diagnostics for businesses and years ago I spent many hours and days on the phone with Charter tech support trying to debug these kinds of problems with their service... until they bumped up to high level support technician who walked me through this procedure. There is a long version and a short version for this sequential power cycling.

Here is the long version....

1) Disconnect all Ethernet LAN cabling from your network router and power off your network router and power off the cable modem. Disconnect (unscrew) the incoming cable from the cable modem itself and disconnect the Ethernet WAN cable going from the cable modem to your router.

2)Wait ten minutes. Re-connect (screw back on) the incoming cable line going to the cable modem and power on the cable modem. Wait five minutes for the cable modem to power up and fully connect to the internet service.

3)Reconnect the Ethernet cable going from the cable modem to the router. Power up the router and wait for the router to fully power up so that it is synced and communicating with the cable modem. It should acquire a WAN IP address during this time.

4)Once the router is fully powered up then reconnect your Ethernet cables going to the devices on your LAN and then power up any devices on your LAN that had been previously powered down.

5)Check your internet connection and run your speed tests for a quality of service check if necessary.

Here is the short version...

1)Power off the cable modem and the router for five to ten minutes.

2)Power on the cable modem and wait three to five minutes for all the lights to indicate the internet service is working.

3)Power on the router that is connected to the modem and wait three minutes for it to connect to the modem and/or receive a DHCP from the internet service.

4)Test your internet connection by running online speed tests if necessary.

The short version usually works but I have used the long version with success many times in the past when debugging ongoing Charter internet service problems. I am not sure if all of Charter/Spectrum tech support still provides this procedure to their customers but it used to be standard information in the past. The support techs now can run their own thorough diagnostic tests from their end on their Charter/Spectrum provided modem and let you know fairly quickly what the problem is.

Last edited:
There is a long version and a short version for this sequential power cycling.
Confirmed that this technique (basically let each upstream connection stabilize before adding anything downstream to it) has worked consistently with our 30+ clients in St. Louis. The "short version" is almost always enough.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!