What's new

Stop Microsoft from Killing my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dizzydevil78

New Around Here
I'm wondering if anyone else has an answer to this as my family wants me to replace the router and I've found little solutions .

I have an RT-AC3100 Router running the stock (and updated firmware). It has about 15 2.4 devices (mostly light bulbs), 10 5ghz devices connected and about 10 hard wired devices that are all on downstream switches. Nothing but the cable modem and one cat to a switch is connected to the Asus device. For the most part, everything works on it just fine except when using the Microsoft store.

A game(s) start downloading from the hardwired PC or the Xbox One X and the router dies.

2.4 stops accepting connections and sometimes stops broadcasting
5ghz takes connections but can't get through the DHCP.
GUI is completely unresponsive and never loads
-If it loads, each page click takes over a minute to load anything and shows the devices are using bandwidth (and less then my purchased speed for some reason).
All connected devices start timing out on web requests.
The family gets mad at me demanding the offending device be turned off.

Thinks I've tried that have had no change:
Master reset the device
put the devices on WiFi to try and slow them down.
Disabled QOS on the router
Set the devices to lowest QOS and everything else high
Disabled app analysis on the router
Disabled CPU NAT on the router
Turned off the radios and connected an extra AP - this fixed the wifi part but there is still no internet (no DHCP on either band now).
Disabled the network transfer on the xbox that allows xb0x to xbox game transfers.

Set bandwidth limits on the device - this works for the most part but the speed limit is 1/5th of the stated speed to keep things working. With Xbox Game Pass Ulitmate, I really need my purchased speed before my subscription expires. It also hurts the actual devices when I need to stream something.

No other devices kill the device like this and my house thinks everything comes over the internet. My internet speed is 60 tier xfinity. For another project, I bought the cheapest router I can find (Archer C20) and decided to just throw it on the main line and assumed it would also be failing. Besides the GUI slowing down, it's stable and offering faster downloads than the higher priced Asus model.

The one thing I found that hit's both in performance is OpenDNS setup and I've not turned off the Trend Micro scanning yet. I'll try it when move the Archer.

Anyone else seeing this on Asus routers? Any other ideas that I've not tried yet? I'd like to keep the device but have too many cranky teenagers when the rest isn't working.

That had no impact either. I've turned every feature off and master reset the device and it still does it when the xbox is queued up with downloads.

I also had and solved some of your problems (Asus RT-AC86U) I think you have different problems here:

- For your GUI, I already experienced it and it's probably an IP conflict, another device on your network tries to use the same IP.
- For 5Ghz I just disabled it, happened to be too unstable for me I could not connect any mobile/laptop without being disconnected

For your Xbox problem I am still looking for a solution as I experience something similar:
At some point my router can reboot everyday because of my Xbox.

Looking ate the logs I found some autonegociation happening really often while my Xbox is in standby mode (because of background dowloading) :

For example:
Code:
Jul 14 22:05:00 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jul 14 22:05:20 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jul 14 22:05:23 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Jul 14 22:05:28 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jul 14 22:05:32 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jul 14 22:05:38 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.

Do you have the same kind of logs?
I tried to disable spanning tree protocol, but these logs continued to show up, then I disabled this level of log (only alerts), continued to reboot 2 or 3 days in a row and nothing.
Seems to work for 20 days now.

The thing is that I already experienced it before and as soon as I update my router, or reboot it manually, this will happen again...

EDIT: Sorry Xbox might not apply since you seems to use wifi right?
But may be the problem is linked to this Xbox standby mode as well?

Standby mode on the xbox is disabled and we just wait forever for the boot up. I looked through the router and didn't see anything about disabling spanning tree negotiation. The logs are weird as they seem to have some daemons that think it's always May 5th and the times jump all over the place; but saw no link issues. Just lots of entries about things not supported and pieces need to be recompiled with legacy flags for support. There was nothing from the MAC address of the xbox though in the search. It is scheduled to reboot weekly. The xbox is currently hard wired, the lights on the switch claim full duplex gigabit but it's a dumb switch so the lights are all I have. However, it would still do it on WiFi for the xbox. Both the xbox and windows machines are DHCP static due to using IP connections to them at times for streaming or other things.

After the master reset, I was encountering the other issue of the 2.4ghz channel would lock up daily preventing any connection to it if I didn't set it to legacy only. Cycling the radio would fix it. The biggest issues tended to be around WiFi when under load. I've since just turned all the wifi off and using a cheap AC extender as an Access Point. It's slower, but stable so far. We also tried an Archer C4000 which had no issue and all under massive load with the trendnet features as well; but I chose to not keep it and just get a WiFI6 device later. It's the hardware / software on the Asus in my opinion that is the problems and should have tested it harder while still in warranty.

I'm not sure if the issue is actually fixed with this setup though. The xbox now has a slower secondary internet connection to stay under the data cap when the downloads become too large. School is now starting so every abusive device is blocked by curfews giving the router a 9mo vacation from abuse. Frankly, I've given up on the router but too cheap to replace it without a benefit and more time. We'll limp through until WiFi6 devices start coming home and then it'll be time to upgrade. For now, I'll live with it mostly behaving with WiFi handled by something else.

The logs are weird as they seem to have some daemons that think it's always May 5th and the times jump all over the place; but saw no link issues. Just lots of entries about things not supported and pieces need to be recompiled with legacy flags for support.

This change of date means that your router is rebooting. Something makes it crash, you should look right before the change of date.

I agree with you regarding this hardware problem, and I consider using another device to take care of my wifi.

Maybe the power supply is not working well. Try a new one.
AC adapter swapped out with same problem. In fact, I bought a 'new' unit to test out the AC adapter and the entire router. It's definitely the Asus software or the model as it behaved identical as soon as I got the internet enabled with no other settings. Sadly, it's out of warranty and I should have addressed this sooner.

I've decided to just deal with it (with bandwidth limits in place) until I have a need for WiFi 6 and then I'll replace it. It's too expensive to replace it so soon and we'll just suffer along.

AC adapter swapped out with same problem. In fact, I bought a 'new' unit to test out the AC adapter and the entire router. It's definitely the Asus software or the model as it behaved identical as soon as I got the internet enabled with no other settings. Sadly, it's out of warranty and I should have addressed this sooner.

I've decided to just deal with it (with bandwidth limits in place) until I have a need for WiFi 6 and then I'll replace it. It's too expensive to replace it so soon and we'll just suffer along.

Come here if you have any Google Devices.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac88u-kernel-net_ratelimit-number-callbacks-suppressed.57810/

We have a couple google speakers and one chromecast but they don't stream anything and sometimes not even plugged in. I also had all IGMP disabled across the device. I've enabled all the settings mentioned and turned off the limits to see how it behaves. If it doesn't work, I'll boot the google devices and see what happens.

We have a couple google speakers and one chromecast but they don't stream anything and sometimes not even plugged in. I also had all IGMP disabled across the device. I've enabled all the settings mentioned and turned off the limits to see how it behaves. If it doesn't work, I'll boot the google devices and see what happens.

The streaming is not the problem. The problem is Google Devices kill the router even if they don't stream anything. Google Devices such as Home hub, Google Home, Google Home Mini keep send massive packets randomly. It happens 1 time per day or more. If one of them sends only one massive packet one time the router dies for 1 min or more.

The streaming is not the problem. The problem is Google Devices kill the router even if they don't stream anything. Google Devices such as Home hub, Google Home, Google Home Mini keep send massive packets randomly. It happens 1 time per day or more. If they send only one massive packet 1 time the router dies.

Ok, I'll try it without them even attached. I've found a very easy test case to see if things lock-up that doesn't even have to have Google.

1. Pause all downloads from MS store on the PC.
2. Swap out router, reboot PC / devices, kick off devices or basically do anything I want.
3. Once back online, resume downloads from the PC.
4. Go ask the kids if the internet is still working. Within about 3m of step 3, all other requests start failing.

All I have to do is pause the downloads again to get everyone back online and doesn't require the xbox to reproduce either (but it does the same symptom) if left to download while idle. The test is simple as long as their is some large games or something in the queue to download. I've turned it loose on 70 app updates and it never bothered it; but the long duration downloads will kill it quickly.

Ok, I'll try it without them even attached. I've found a very easy test case to see if things lock-up that doesn't even have to have Google.

1. Pause all downloads from MS store on the PC.
2. Swap out router, reboot PC / devices, kick off devices or basically do anything I want.
3. Once back online, resume downloads from the PC.
4. Go ask the kids if the internet is still working. Within about 3m of step 3, all other requests start failing.

All I have to do is pause the downloads again to get everyone back online and doesn't require the xbox to reproduce either (but it does the same symptom) if left to download while idle. The test is simple as long as their is some large games or something in the queue to download. I've turned it loose on 70 app updates and it never bothered it; but the long duration downloads will kill it quickly.

I have Ultimate pass too. Did you download free games?
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - by Sep 30.
We Were Here - by Oct 15.
Hitman: The Complete First Season + DLCs - by Sep 30.

Spooled up the PC with the latest game downloads.

With all the IGMP proxy enabled, lockups occurred across the house and the rainbow six sessions dropped on the xbox.

Reconfigured the router so only the PC and Xbox are on it and rebooted the router. Verified that everything had online access. Started up the downloads again and the xbox dropped connections after about a minute. Oddly the router is logging nothing other then a firmware check on startup; even though it's super unresponsive (about 60s between pages).

Changed the Bandwidth limit to 8Mb on Xbox and PC and everything became responsive again.

It was worth a shot, but the google lockout seemed to have no impact either.

Spooled up the PC with the latest game downloads.

With all the IGMP proxy enabled, lockups occurred across the house and the rainbow six sessions dropped on the xbox.

Reconfigured the router so only the PC and Xbox are on it and rebooted the router. Verified that everything had online access. Started up the downloads again and the xbox dropped connections after about a minute. Oddly the router is logging nothing other then a firmware check on startup; even though it's super unresponsive (about 60s between pages).

Changed the Bandwidth limit to 8Mb on Xbox and PC and everything became responsive again.

It was worth a shot, but the google lockout seemed to have no impact either.

What is your Xbox NAT Type?
'OPEN' but you have a same issue: your router is dead maybe.
Not 'OPEN': change it to 'OPEN'. And test it again.

Last edited:
I bought an R7960P (again) and tossed the Asus to not have it staring at me anymore. I can't see What the kids are blowing through the data on but it's not crumbling under load either. It's also doubled the download speeds according to the store app.

Problem solved.

Have you been able to maintain a responsive SSH session? Run top and if it doesn't die with the connection you can see what might chew up the CPU

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!