What's new

strange behavior of apple TV4K on asus router RT-Ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pampa360

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

when configuring my new asus router (Merlin) I observed a strange behavior of the appletv4k that is plugged on the switch port (LAN). It does that perpetually and it never stops:

Mar 9 11:49:30 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:49:33 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:49:44 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:49:45 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:50:30 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:50:33 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:50:43 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:50:45 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:51:29 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:51:33 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:51:44 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:51:45 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:51:46 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:51:49 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:52:07 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:52:09 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:52:30 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:52:33 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:52:44 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
Mar 9 11:52:46 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Mar 9 11:52:47 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.

I tried to switch LAN port but it does the same on the other port. I have a shield tv that does not show such behavior.

is there something wrong ?

thank you,

cheers

pampa

ATV4 is 100 Mbit...

I would really recommend doing WiFi on the Apple TV, rather than cabled up over Ethernet

tried another cable, same issue

ATV4K has an Ethernet gigabyte and for some reasons I would like to avoid wifi.

it's really an annoying issue if you use your log to follow your activity. such a mess in the log file..

if those are "green" switch ports, see if you can turn the energy saving option off
otherwise, maybe post in the apple support forums

I have an Apple TV4K and it links at a gig. I much prefer it running on wire. I am with degrub on turning the green switch support off for that port and trying that. I run into problems with green on my Cisco gear. The other thing you could try is another small switch.

if those are "green" switch ports, see if you can turn the energy saving option off
otherwise, maybe post in the apple support forums
to be honnest I don't know how to check that on the router. I have another idea. I saw that the router manage itself the switch speed. how to force a port to stay at 1000 mbs as an attempt to stabilize it ??

tried another cable, same issue

ATV4K has an Ethernet gigabyte and for some reasons I would like to avoid wifi.

it's really an annoying issue if you use your log to follow your activity. such a mess in the log file..

I stand corrected here - the ATV 4K is Gigabit... I wish Apple would be a bit better on discrete device naming...

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 7.06.22 PM.png

That being said - ATV's are more about Wireless Connectivity for AirPlay/AirPlay2 - and that's where their development focus is - with iTunes and iDevices

I stand corrected here - the ATV 4K is Gigabit... I wish Apple would be a bit better on discrete device naming...

View attachment 16815

That being said - ATV's are more about Wireless Connectivity for AirPlay/AirPlay2 - and that's where their development focus is - with iTunes and iDevices

I have my Apple TV4K connected with a Gig wire. My AppleTV4K does not know any of my wireless passwords so it can only use wired. It runs fine with Mirroring and iTunes.

Sorry I posted above and I forgot.

I have my Apple TV4K connected with a Gig wire. My AppleTV4K does not know any of my wireless passwords so it can only use wired. It runs fine with Mirroring and iTunes.

AppleTV 3 (Rev2) and later - they can use Apple Wireless Direct Link protocol to set up a secure ad-hoc link to iPhone/iPad/Mac even when cabled up - look at Ch6, 44, or 149...

@coxhaus - might be fun to check by setting up a port mirror on your SG300 and see if the Airplay traffic is going over the wire or over the air...

Wireshark 3.0, btw, has an AWDL dissector...

I will have to check out direct link. I thought the iPhone and iPad were using my wireless for the link to Ethernet, maybe not.

I will have to check out direct link. I thought the iPhone and iPad were using my wireless for the link to Ethernet, maybe not.

Note that the AWDL is a hidden SSID, and it only active during the Airplay session - on session setup, they meet on the primary network, and negotiate params.

when configuring my new asus router (Merlin) I observed a strange behavior of the appletv4k that is plugged on the switch port (LAN). It does that perpetually and it never stops:

There was a known issue with ATV4K on the initial firmware, so make sure it's up to date there... also, if you're on the wire, make sure that the WiFi is not associated with the AP.

really ? you lucky guy...

There was a known issue with ATV4K on the initial firmware, so make sure it's up to date there... also, if you're on the wire, make sure that the WiFi is not associated with the AP.

I checked that and actually the AT4K showed this behavior since the beginning and I never configured the wifi... Today; I still have the same issue and it is still the same nightmare when I check on my logs....
My ATV4K is updated.

You might try a system reset with update and then start over with your AT4K. My AT4K worked before the last update.

You might try a system reset with update and then start over with your AT4K. My AT4K worked before the last update.
so, I did that today; system reset with update ; no improvement so far, still the same busy log file...

Last edited:
It looks like it is switching back and forth between 1000 and 100 port speed. I wonder if you could manually set the port speed on both ends.

Could it be a cable problem? Maybe a bad crimped terminal on the RJ45 connector that makes intermediate contact and pushes autodetection to switch between 100 and 1000 mbps?

It looks like it is switching back and forth between 1000 and 100 port speed. I wonder if you could manually set the port speed on both ends.
Could it be a cable problem? Maybe a bad crimped terminal on the RJ45 connector that makes intermediate contact and pushes autodetection to switch between 100 and 1000 mbps?

So far I use only cat 7 ethernet cables 1 or 2 meter. these one exactly https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QV1F1C4/?tag=smallncom-21

I already tried to use the cable given with the router, I don't use it anyway, no changes...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!