What's new

Strange connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnthonyExmouth

New Around Here
Hi, recently bought an RX-AX82U, works well on the whole but my phone and laptop have a strange issue where they connect to the router but have no internet, but if I connect to an access point that is connected to the same router I do have internet access.
Any ideas?

Anthony

Hi, recently bought an RX-AX82U, works well on the whole but my phone and laptop have a strange issue where they connect to the router but have no internet, but if I connect to an access point that is connected to the same router I do have internet access.
Any ideas?

Anthony

Could it be the wireless clients like the AP WiFi band/channel/protocol/bandwidth, but not the router WiFi etc.?

Do the clients get an IP address when connected to the router WiFi?

Are they Apple clients... do all of your wireless clients have the same issue on the router WiFi?

OE

Could it be the wireless clients like the AP WiFi band/channel/protocol/bandwidth, but not the router WiFi etc.?

Do the clients get an IP address when connected to the router WiFi?

Are they Apple clients... do all of your wireless clients have the same issue on the router WiFi?

OE
Smart Tv's seem ok. Laptop / Android phone connect to the router ok, I can access the router management but get the "No Internet" icon on the laptop and phone tries to connect to different networks to find the internet.. It's like the router is blocking the internet to these devices but not all the time. But consistently works when I connect to the tp-link access point.

Welcome to the forums @AnthonyExmouth.

What firmware are you using (and did you update it, and from which firmware)?

What settings/features and options have you made past defaults?

What phone model and laptop WiFi adaptor does the issue show up on? Have you tried updating the laptop's WiFi drivers? Have you tried 'forgetting' and then re-associating the phone's connection to the router? You may even need to do a full network reset on the phone too.

Are you using the same SSIDs you had before this upgrade? Try testing with a new SSID on the Guest 2 network to see if the devices connect and can communicate on the 'net.

Welcome to the forums @AnthonyExmouth.

What firmware are you using (and did you update it, and from which firmware)?

What settings/features and options have you made past defaults?

What phone model and laptop WiFi adaptor does the issue show up on? Have you tried updating the laptop's WiFi drivers? Have you tried 'forgetting' and then re-associating the phone's connection to the router? You may even need to do a full network reset on the phone too.

Are you using the same SSIDs you had before this upgrade? Try testing with a new SSID on the Guest 2 network to see if the devices connect and can communicate on the 'net.
Upgraded firmware out of the box so no idea what it was on. Using it as a stand alone router through my isp modem. Should I maybe just use it as an access point?

router.jpg

You should do a full reset to defaults after flashing new firmware (when you're seeing issues like now) and then use the defaults to check if things work as expected.

If they do, change one setting/feature or option, reboot the router, and continue doing so until your network is set up the way you want.

The spaces in the SSID, the WiFi Agile Multiband, the Control Channel on Auto, the Authentication Method, and the WPA Encryption all look 'wrong' to me.

Note that in my experience, flipping settings back and forth isn't the same as leaving them alone in the first place (after a full and proper reset). Do a full reset and follow the suggestions I've made above. For the fastest path to a stable router/network.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

You should do a full reset to defaults after flashing new firmware (when you're seeing issues like now) and then use the defaults to check if things work as expected.

If they do, change one setting/feature or option, reboot the router, and continue doing so until your network is set up the way you want.

The spaces in the SSID, the WiFi Agile Multiband, the Control Channel on Auto, the Authentication Method, and the WPA Encryption all look 'wrong' to me.

Note that in my experience, flipping settings back and forth isn't the same as leaving them alone in the first place (after a full and proper reset). Do a full reset and follow the suggestions I've made above. For the fastest path to a stable router/network.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links
I'll factory reset tomorrow. see if that helps.

Be sure leave authentication WPA2-Personal

And for encryption mode = AES . TKIP is outdated and can cause problems.

As suggested do a factory then just change router's password, setup SSIDs with no spaces and AES with a paraphrase with no spaces and see if the problem clients will connect. If they do you can experiment with more complex SSIDs and paraphrases.

Be sure leave authentication WPA2-Personal

And for encryption mode = AES . TKIP is outdated and can cause problems.

As suggested do a factory then just change router's password, setup SSIDs with no spaces and AES with a paraphrase with no spaces and see if the problem clients will connect. If they do you can experiment with more complex SSIDs and paraphrases.
I'll do the factory reset but i'm not changing the SSID, too many smart devices to change that have been working for years with that SSID. I'll go back to my isp router or try a different brand/model if it turns out to be that.

Change the SSID to something without spaces, if needed. That'll give you a few more years (again) or forever, which will just continue to work.

The latest firmware has been known to not allow spaces in the passwords (already).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!