Strange DHCP Issue

metz

New Around Here
Hi All,

First post on here, I have a really odd DHCP issue.

Windows Devices are able to obtain an IP Address and work without issue, however iOS and Andrioid just get a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP!
If I set the IP manually on a mobile device it works for a while but then cuts out (WiFi shows as connected but No Internet)

I have done all sorts of troubleshooting such as uninstalled all Merlin AMTM Scripts one by one, formatting the JFFS on reboot, Factory Reset to Merlin FW, Factory Reset to Asus Stock FW

Hardware: RT-AC88U
Firmware: 384.19
Settings: All Default apart from SSID details.

DHCP Allocated by Router on standard IP Range 192.168.1.x

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Any commands I can try over SSH to test this further?

TIA
 

MarkyPancake

Senior Member
I don't know why this is happening, but it sounds like an Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) issue, so that's worth reading about.
 

JemTheWire

Senior Member
^^^
Apple introduced a new security feature. It issues a random private MAC address to routers. It can be disabled by going into Settings/WiFi and pressing on the name of the WiFi you are connected to. Just toggle the ‘Private’ toggle to off.
 

metz

New Around Here
^^^
Apple introduced a new security feature. It issues a random private MAC address to routers. It can be disabled by going into Settings/WiFi and pressing on the name of the WiFi you are connected to. Just toggle the ‘Private’ toggle to off.
I just disabled Smart Connect under the WiFi Settings.

This has given me two seperate WiFi Networks (2.4G and 5G).

I connected to each seperate WiFi Network and disabled the Private IP Mode... I assume each antenna has its own MAC within the iPhone.

I can now connect to the network on my iPhone on both SSIDs, will have to test other devices now.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top