What's new

Strange iowait and ntfs or ext4 for torrents?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huxuan

Occasional Visitor
Just struggling with transmission on AC86U with the latest stable version (384.14_2) of Merlin for days.

I thought ext4 should be the answer especially for the preallocation feature. Since NTFS freeze at the beginning of downloading and iostat shows that it keeps writing at about 100 MB/s (USB 3.0) for preallocation, so obviously the freezing time will linearly scale as the increasing size of torrents. Moreover, I tried to set the preallocation settings to 0 (no preallocation), but seems it does not take any effects.

After I backup all the data and format the disk into ext4. Everything looks good at the beginning but I suddenly find that the iowait is exploding when I try to download large torrents. Previously it can reach about 20MB/s downloading speed on NTFS with about 10-20% iowait. But even after I limit the download speed to less than 3 MB/s, the iowait still explode and will freeze the whole system in seconds which even affects normal internet access on other clients. I know the router's CPU is slow but at least it should work the same as NTFS, right?

To summarize, I have three questions.
1) Can I avoid the freeze preallocation on NTFS?
2) How comes the exploding iowait on ext4? I must have missed some really important aspects.
3) Any other suggestions on filesystem for torrents?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!