What's new

Strange IPv6 address as main DNS connected to my Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have IPv6 enabled on my Orbi system. I ran an app that tells me what my current DNS servers are. This is what I get:

Primary DNS: fe80::a204:60ff:fe1e:2e5a
Secondary DNS: 10.0,0.1

What is that primary address? The secondary I know since that the Orbi's internal IP.

The reason I ask is that I recently had a DNS related problem with a weather station transmitter which is on a wired connection to the Orbi Satellite. When I set DNS directly in the device with a fixed IP it has been able to transmit data. But if I Set DNS to the gateway addresses as 10.0.0.1 it stops transmitting. Then I see that unusual (to me) primary DNS address and wonder if that could be causing trouble?

I get that when I have IPv6 & 4 both enabled on the Router. For some reason, and I think it's because there's usually only one address for IPv6 and that gets listed first as a single point of resolution. The Router IP is showing second since you probably have two DNSs listed for IPv4, as I do. This way it can reference the use of both IPv4s with the one IPA. That's the way I have seen it work in the past on my gear. Plus sooner or later IPv6 will be a Primary protocol.

And I am trying to get it back up and running on my RBK853 System under the latest FW. But it just doesn't want to connect to Centurylinks 6rd Fast Deployment. It did a couple of FW Revs ago. So I know it can do it. That's when I got the same as you do.

If I am wrong, and there is a more accurate and precise explanation, I'm all ears.

Hi,

I have IPv6 enabled on my Orbi system. I ran an app that tells me what my current DNS servers are. This is what I get:

Primary DNS: fe80::a204:60ff:fe1e:2e5a
Secondary DNS: 10.0,0.1

What is that primary address? The secondary I know since that the Orbi's internal IP.

The reason I ask is that I recently had a DNS related problem with a weather station transmitter which is on a wired connection to the Orbi Satellite. When I set DNS directly in the device with a fixed IP it has been able to transmit data. But if I Set DNS to the gateway addresses as 10.0.0.1 it stops transmitting. Then I see that unusual (to me) primary DNS address and wonder if that could be causing trouble?
Many devices don't work well with IPV6. That DNS is normal for ipv6. Personaly I would disable ipv6 as it isn't needed.

Many devices don't work well with IPV6. That DNS is normal for ipv6. Personaly I would disable ipv6 as it isn't needed.

The World has run out of IPv4 Addresses earlier than expected, IPv4 is overcrowded and slow. IPv6 is fast, the World is moving to it, I have been using it for internal networking for long while and it has meshed over to Internet access nicely, have it running very well on my RBK853 and it has:

The length of an IPv6 address is 128 bits, compared with 32 bits in IPv4. The address space therefore has 2128 or approximately 3.4×1038 addresses or 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456, which is approximately 340 undecillion, or 340 billion billion billion billion, addresses).​

IPv4 has: "A little over 4 Billion." https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=348253&seqNum=7 < It's a Great Read. One of many out there, like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

. . . and IPv6 isn't needed?!

The World has run out of IPv4 Addresses earlier than expected, IPv4 is overcrowded and slow. IPv6 is fast, the World is moving to it, I have been using it for internal networking for long while and it has meshed over to Internet access nicely, have it running very well on my RBK853 and it has:

The length of an IPv6 address is 128 bits, compared with 32 bits in IPv4. The address space therefore has 2128 or approximately 3.4×1038 addresses or 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456, which is approximately 340 undecillion, or 340 billion billion billion billion, addresses).​

IPv4 has: "A little over 4 Billion." https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=348253&seqNum=7 < It's a Great Read. One of many out there, like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

. . . and IPv6 isn't needed?!
It isn't needed yet. I have devices that have issues with ipv6 within the network. Until devices are implemented better I will stay away from it. I don't need ipv6 at my house. If they want to separate the WAN vs LAN and have only the WAN side use ipv6 then that's fine. I don't know if that's possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!