What's new

Strange Issue with RT-AC88U after Firmware Flash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsring

I recently flashed my RT-AC88U with Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_10007. Shortly thereafter, I lost both wireless bands and my upload/download speeds with the ethernet connections was extremely slow. I logged into the router and noticed that CPU usage on Core 1 and Core 2 was fluctuating wildly between 0% and 100%. Rebooting the router did not fix it. The only way that I could fix the problem was to pull the power plug, let it sit for a few seconds, and then restart it. I then got both wireless bands back and CPU usage was back to normal. I then started to configure the settings in the router GUI and the problem problem returned. I corrected it again by pulling the power then restarting it. Any ideas on what the issue might be, and what do you suggest that I do to fix it? Maybe a bad firmware flash and I need to re-flash the firmware??

Update...I flashed Merlin 382.2_beta2 back onto the router. I then went into the settings that affect the wireless radios (I toggled the WPS button on then off) and I was able to recreate the issue where I lost both wireless radios and CPU usage on Core 1 & 2 was fluctuating again.

Capture.JPG

OK....the 100% CPU issue returned. I believe that I have figured out what was causing it. Any router setting change that causes the 2.4GHz wireless radio to restart results in the problem. I can get it to stop by powering cycling the router. It is consistent across all 382 and 384 series firmware versions. Any ideas of what the issue might be?

Don't know the cause but the high CPU usage problem has not returned on my RT-AC3100 after I did the power off/power on cycle twice (once for each core) on the router about 3 weeks ago.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!