What's new

strange media block message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I use an rt ac 88 u with Merlin 13 .I run express VPNs DNS proxy server on it to stream media via a Roku device.Yesterday I got a strange block while streaming amazon prime, I got a blue screen with a message on it saying something like HDCP unauthorized access blocked ,, the whole time I could hear the show I was trying to stream but as I said no pictures just the blue screen and message.I rebooted everything e.g. the router,modem,the Roku device and it went away.Can anyone tell me what happened.Before I rebooted everything I swapped from express VPNs proxy server to their VPN connection to see if it would fix the problem but I still got the same block.I am suspecting that the problem lay with my router but could be wrong..Any suggestions appreciated

Last edited:
It was bizarre thought if I am understanding the link properly it is to stop people from recording their content to profit from.How ridiculous is that my setup is the same it's been for years e.g. Router / Roku device /TV one via Wi-Fi the other via Ethernet cable directly into the router.No change at all since I set them up

It was bizarre thought if I am understanding the link properly it is to stop people from recording their content to profit from.How ridiculous is that my setup is the same it's been for years e.g. Router / Roku device /TV one via Wi-Fi the other via Ethernet cable directly into the router.No change at all since I set them up
It's nothing to do with your router or networking in general. HDCP is a copy protection mechanism that is sent over the HDMI cable. The suggestion from those posts is that for some reason that information wasn't sent properly, either because of a loose/faulty HDMI cable or because the Roku "glitched out".

It's nothing to do with your router or networking in general. HDCP is a copy protection mechanism that is sent over the HDMI cable. The suggestion from those posts is that for some reason that information wasn't sent properly, either because of a loose/faulty HDMI cable or because the Roku "glitched out".
Thanks I got that.The link you sent me was great,now I know that I'm not the only one getting that particular message

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!