What's new

Strange System Log Entries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, or whether it is only affecting AX routers, so I've posted a similar message in the ASUS AX routers forum.

Basically, I noticed this morning that I am seeing loads of similar entries in the systems log and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they mean and if they are signs of a problem, what I might need to do about it.

I've attached a copy of the log from my RT-AX86U.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    467.6 KB · Views: 311
I've just tried switching off connected devices and rebooting the router, but this problem continues. I've lodged a support request with ASUS, but they aren't open until Monday, so it looks like I'm stuck with this until then. I hope it's not a security issue, although there are no entries in AiProtection, so that's somewhat reassuring. It's a pity these system log entries aren't written in a way that makes sense to non-techies like me, because "kernel: invalid dirty_p detected:..." means absolutely nothing to me.

Well, I've found out what's causing this, but I have no idea why or what it means.

First of all, I did a factory reset and then started to configure the names/icons of the network devices as they appeared in the network list. On checking the system log, I could see that the problem had returned, so I wondered if it could be one of the connected devices causing the problem. I disabled the 5GHz radio and checked again. Result: the problem had ceased. So I renabled the 5GHz radio and set the Wireless MAC filter to deny all but specified devices. Then I started adding the devices one by one. By this method, I was able to determine that the culprit was my Amazon Fire TV stick. As soon as I unplugged it, the problem disappeared. Now the only question is, why has it started doing this and how do I fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Spoke too soon - it's just started again, even without the Fire TV Stick powered on, albeit much less frequently.

Last edited:
Now that there are a few people using the new RT-AX86U router, has anyone noticed any similar entries in the system log to the ones I am getting?

I have raised a support ticket with ASUS and they are supposed to be getting back to me when head office have investigated.

I'll post an update to this thread when I've received an explanation from ASUS, just in case anyone else has the same issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!