What's new

Strange, very strange

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mokume1

Occasional Visitor
I've a mesh system consisting of 2 ET8's and a single AX6, one of the ET8's is acting as the router, while the other two are setup as wired backhaul nodes, yes I have a large home.

According to Asus's web based GUI the entire system's connection quality is "Great".

My question is why would a wireless device prefer to connect to the router located far away when another node is but 10 feet away? The closer node is an ET8, the router is 80 feet away.

When I attempt to bind the device to the closer node, I get a popup stating that the connection to the closer node is weak and that I may lose connectivity.

The wireless device in question is an Amazon Echo Dot of which I stream music from 24/7, after a few hours the Dot will experience choppy playback for a few minutes, then totally lose connection, very annoying.

I haven't tried streaming on the Dot once it's bound to the closer node yet, it may perform just fine, but why would I be getting the popup stating that the signal is weak?

Of course, radio broadcast is enabled on all Asus devices.

What is AX6?

Welcome to AiMesh.
Lol, just like my Wyze cams, to achieve any semblance of functionality from them, all 9 of mine are set to restart 3x daily via Wyze Smart plugs...
I've come to realize that they are mere monitoring devices and should never be used in a comprehensive security system, given their price point.

The oddball Asus node is an AX6600, btw...

Wyze devices have reported issues with DNS-over-TLS set on the router. Check your models compatibility and your router configuration and see if you can make them work better. Restarting 3x daily is not a solution. AiMesh is overpriced repeaters solution and you have to find your way to use it. There are better plug and play home "mesh" solutions out there. AiMesh is good to try if you want to reuse some old routers. All new devices for AiMesh - avoid. If you trust Asus advertisements and you badly want AiMesh - it works best wired and with all the same model routers. Mix and match causes issues.

How would I go about doing this?

"Check your models compatibility and your router configuration and see if you can make them work better."

Your advice on Asus systems is noted, what brand/model would you recommend?

I've no issue dumping my Asus components, they were free...

See what camera models do you have and if they have issues with your router configuration. Look online.

Don't dump free Asus routers. Play with different firmware versions and find what works better with your clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!