What's new

Strange ZenWifi AX issue... Help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JamesM

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks.. looking for some help if possible?

I have the ZenWifi AX router and mesh setup.
The mesh unit is connected via 5ghz backhaul.

I've noticed a bit of an odd issue....
If I'm streaming to Twitch (contant 6Mbps upload) and I then do anything on the download side of things, it dropps the upload speed.

IE - PC connected to mesh unit by cable.
If I then either run a speed test, watch a YT video on the PC the upload speed will drop.
If I do the same on my phone (connected to the mesh unit), I see the same.

If I have the PC uploading to Twitch, but have my laptop connected to the main router (via cable), I don't see any issue when testing.

It appears to only affect the mesh unit, any heavy download activity affects the upload on the mesh unit only.
It isn't an ISP issue as this isn't an issue if I connect all to the main router and test - IE PC hard wired to main router and not mesh.

Any help/advice would be great!
I'm tempted to now simply send the ZenWifi AX back as it isn't going to work as is.

EDIT -
Light loads (not only heavy) on the download (mesh unit) appears to affect the upload and will lower it... IE streaming to twitch... start a YT video, download speed drops down.

Plugged my AX92U Router and Node back in.. no issues.

Last edited:
So, kind of important... what is your paid for ISP speeds? :)

Are the attainable via speedtest.net, fast.com, etc.?

So, kind of important... what is your paid for ISP speeds? :)

Are the attainable via speedtest.net, fast.com, etc.?

Hi !
Depends on the time of day, but approx 90Mbps down and 35Mbps up.

Strange thing is I can acheive this with the ZenWifi setup when testing individually up/down.
But like I said, if I do anything in terms of a download, the upload falls away.

A bit of an odd one!

I plugged my AX92U setup in after testing the ZenWifi for an hour or so and no issues with the AX92U's.

I've had the ZenWifi a couple of days and it's the first time I've actually tried to stream to Twitch etc - this is where I noticed the issue straight away.

I was actually watching my stream while uploading and I could see whenever it pulled in data when watching, the upload would drop. Again - confirmed it's not my ISP because as soon as I swapped out to the AX92U's all was fine?!

Also confirmed that it all worked fine if I simply connected everything to the main ZenWifi router (and not the mesh point).
Seems to be an issue with sending/receiving information over the mesh via wireless at the same time??..

The only thing I will test tomorrow which I didn't tonight is having the router/mesh unit in the same room and see if it makes a difference.

Currently I'm only two rooms away (all on one floor) and less than 10metres away easily.

FYI - I factory reset both the router and the node (ZenWifi AX) and everything now appears to be working as it should!
Strange!!

I'll keep an eye on it as I still have time to be able to return if need be!

Factory reset and working as it should? Not strange, rather, expected behavior. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!