What's new

Streaming AirPlay to UPnP/Sonos & Chromecast devices via an Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dokterdok

New Around Here
With all the AirPlay 2 talk going on right now around its official release, it got me interested in being able to AirPlay music from my iOS devices to my Sonos speakers, with the help of my Asus router.

It seems that an open source utility AirConnect allows this, and does have pre-compiled ARMv7 binaries that may work on Asus routers (the homepage even mentions an RT-AC68U).

Has anyone tried installing AirConnect on their Asus router?
Any tips / steps / tutorials you could point me to? I have an RT-AC87U and have no clue where to begin ;)

Thanks for any help

Whatever end device you want to receive/play it has to support it, this has nothing to do with Asus. AirPlay and Chromecasts already works I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Ie. If you buy a Sonos right now and connect it to your Asus router, AirPlay would work without the need to install anything extra on the router.

Ie. If you buy a Sonos right now and connect it to your Asus router, AirPlay would work without the need to install anything extra on the router.
Only the newest range of Sonos speakers officially support AirPlay. Any Sonos model introduced before late-2015 don't, they don't have sufficient horsepower to support it according to Sonos. A lot of older models are still sold and in-use today.

This is why I'm looking for intermediary utilities like AirConnect that you need to run on a device on the same network as your Sonos speakers. This allows your iOS devices to recognize your old-gen Sonos speakers as AirPlay speakers.

Only the newest range of Sonos speakers officially support AirPlay. Any Sonos model introduced before late-2015 don't, they don't have sufficient horsepower to support it according to Sonos. A lot of older models are still sold and in-use today.

This is why I'm looking for intermediary utilities like AirConnect that you need to run on a device on the same network as your Sonos speakers. This allows your iOS devices to recognize your old-gen Sonos speakers as AirPlay speakers.

Ah, that makes more sense. TIL.

I thought there would be a Sonos app for your phone that would do just this as a bog standard feature... am I missing something here?

I use Yamaha products and Airplay to them from a variety of sources (Amazon Music, Youtube, iTunes etc) via my iPhone MusicCast app, with a connection supported by via my AC86U.

Edit - Scratch that, our posts crossed. Understood.

I think it’ll be easier to install it elsewhere (on your PC, Raspberry Pi etc). Asus router toolchain is not the most flexible.

(the homepage even mentions an RT-AC68U)
The only reference to an Asus I see is for enabling multicast routing on the LAN. So they're not actually running it on the Asus. As others have said, compiling it for an Asus might be hard work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!