What's new

Streaming issues on AX88U w/ OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnv621

New Around Here
Hi all,

Newb here, so apologies if I'm not posting in the right place. Have been lurking for weeks and reading tons of posts to get my RT-AX88U set up. You guys ROCK! Thanks to Merlin and Yaz and everyone for all the scripts. I've almost got everything up and running the way I want it. Truly a HUGE upgrade over the old ISP router.

AX88U is running Merlin 384.17 (+ Diversion/SkyNet/YazFi/dnscrypt-proxy). All clients are wireless, Wifi6/160Mhz enabled since I have a few Wifi6 clients. I've got two YazFi guest networks tied to an OpenVPN client (with Strict Policy Rules that seem to function properly):
  • Router traffic & LAN - normal WAN connection (no VPN) + dnscrypt-proxy/Diversion
  • Guest 1 (2.4 GHz) - US OpenVPN client + AcceptDNS=Exclusive (no dnscrypt-proxy or Diversion)
  • Guest 2 (5 Ghz) - US OpenVPN client + AcceptDNS=Exclusive (no dnscrypt-proxy or Diversion)

I've checked a variety of devices on the various networks and can access local Netflix via the WAN connection and US Netflix via Guest 1 and 2 (almost) without issue. My PS4 runs Netflix and Amazon perfectly on Guest 1.

However, Netflix on my 4K TV keeps buffering on Guest 2 (Amazon streams perfectly). Other devices on Guest 2 (PC, smartphone) stream US Netflix without issue, so it's just the 4K TV having problems and only when connected to the US VPN (TV streams fine on 5 Ghz network without VPN). When I use the TV's browser to run a speed check on Guest 2, I see ~30 Mbps. spdMerlin says the WAN is connected at ~100 Mbps and the VPN connection checks out at ~80 Mbps. So it doesn't *seem* to be a bandwidth issue.

Is there something in the Merlin/diversion/skynet/OpenVPN configs that could be causing buffering? Could it be bandwidth even though speed tests look good? Buffering happens intermittently, but without any obvious patterns. Not sure if it matters, but I'm not using any of the QOS or Trend AI features.

As a separate question, I recently switched to 1 Gbps FTTH service. I was getting ~900 Mbps WAN throughput consistently for a few days, and then the WAN connection went down due to an ISP issue. When it came back up a few days later, WAN has been running right at ~90-100 Mbps for over a week, almost as if it were being limited to 100 Mbps. I assume this is an ISP issue, but is there anything in the router config that would artificially limit WAN throughput? (Note: I disabled the QOS and AI features to keep HW acceleration enabled, and I was initially seeing ~600-800 Mbps from the LAN side prior to the outage...without hardware acceleration, WAN->LAN throughput was limited to ~250-300 Mbps, which seemed to be consistent with other posts I've read)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi all,

Newb here, so apologies if I'm not posting in the right place. Have been lurking for weeks and reading tons of posts to get my RT-AX88U set up. You guys ROCK! Thanks to Merlin and Yaz and everyone for all the scripts. I've almost got everything up and running the way I want it. Truly a HUGE upgrade over the old ISP router.

AX88U is running Merlin 384.17 (+ Diversion/SkyNet/YazFi/dnscrypt-proxy). All clients are wireless, Wifi6/160Mhz enabled since I have a few Wifi6 clients. I've got two YazFi guest networks tied to an OpenVPN client (with Strict Policy Rules that seem to function properly):
  • Router traffic & LAN - normal WAN connection (no VPN) + dnscrypt-proxy/Diversion
  • Guest 1 (2.4 GHz) - US OpenVPN client + AcceptDNS=Exclusive (no dnscrypt-proxy or Diversion)
  • Guest 2 (5 Ghz) - US OpenVPN client + AcceptDNS=Exclusive (no dnscrypt-proxy or Diversion)

I've checked a variety of devices on the various networks and can access local Netflix via the WAN connection and US Netflix via Guest 1 and 2 (almost) without issue. My PS4 runs Netflix and Amazon perfectly on Guest 1.

However, Netflix on my 4K TV keeps buffering on Guest 2 (Amazon streams perfectly). Other devices on Guest 2 (PC, smartphone) stream US Netflix without issue, so it's just the 4K TV having problems and only when connected to the US VPN (TV streams fine on 5 Ghz network without VPN). When I use the TV's browser to run a speed check on Guest 2, I see ~30 Mbps. spdMerlin says the WAN is connected at ~100 Mbps and the VPN connection checks out at ~80 Mbps. So it doesn't *seem* to be a bandwidth issue.

Is there something in the Merlin/diversion/skynet/OpenVPN configs that could be causing buffering? Could it be bandwidth even though speed tests look good? Buffering happens intermittently, but without any obvious patterns. Not sure if it matters, but I'm not using any of the QOS or Trend AI features.

As a separate question, I recently switched to 1 Gbps FTTH service. I was getting ~900 Mbps WAN throughput consistently for a few days, and then the WAN connection went down due to an ISP issue. When it came back up a few days later, WAN has been running right at ~90-100 Mbps for over a week, almost as if it were being limited to 100 Mbps. I assume this is an ISP issue, but is there anything in the router config that would artificially limit WAN throughput? (Note: I disabled the QOS and AI features to keep HW acceleration enabled, and I was initially seeing ~600-800 Mbps from the LAN side prior to the outage...without hardware acceleration, WAN->LAN throughput was limited to ~250-300 Mbps, which seemed to be consistent with other posts I've read)

Thoughts? Thanks!
I am not positive but I think the problem you are having with Netflix is the fact that they are compressing the data due to the increase use by the public while we are all indoors . A victim of the covid19 nightmare