What's new

Struggle town: PLEASE help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porthacking

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have just successfully built a computer and made an ice cream machine from scratch but don't seem to be able to do the home network thing!

I need to get the internet from the wireless router/VOIP box downstairs, to my switch (and everything connected to it) upstairs. I tried using an old airport express: fail (recognised the network but wouldn't allow bridging because it wasn't an airport base station). Belkin Wiresless G: fail (apparently bridging only works between two Belkin Gs ???).

So how do I get the net up here (wirelessly)?

The router/voip box downstairs is a Dynalink RTA1046VW
My switch is a Netgear GS108T.
I gather I need to buy something to act as a bridge with the downstairs router? If so, I would prefer something of a similar standard to the prosafe switch, but 'n' is not necessary (the router downstairs is g and the download speed is slower than g anyway, and all network transfers and media streaming will occur through the switch).

If someone can point me in the right direction I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks for the reply.

Would LOVE to have it wired, but sadly it is not an option. So must connect from downstairs router to switch via some type of router attached to the switch.

I have read some of those articles and whilst I understand the concepts for some reason the damn thing just wont work. I'll have a read and further look though.

Further reading shows that interoperability could be a problem.

To simplify things, should I buy two identical bridges connect one via ethernet to the router/voip box downstairs and the other to my switch upstairs?

Downstairs:
Internet-->Dynalink Router+VOIP--(ethernet)-->Bridge 1 - - - - - -(wireless) - - - - - - -

Upstairs:
- - - - - - - - - - - Bridge 2--(ethernet)-->Switch

(Homeplugs are sadly also not an option)

what reading shows what problem?
A decent non-WDS bridge should connect to any router and not require a matched partner.

Why is homeplug not an option?

Hi Tim,

Power outlets are at a premium here: old apartment, poorly wired, already powerboards everywhere.

I was reading about Belkin G and they were saying that you really need two Gs for it to work etc and that interoperability is difficult.

I've got a Wireless G and the router downstairs is a Dynalink RTA1046VW. I put in the MAC addresses for both routers and had no success. The Netgear upstairs kept reading as "Not connected" to the internet. The Router downstairs could see the Belkin though. Perhaps the problem is that I haven't correctly assigned IP addresses etc. I did have a post on here earlier about DHCP but gave up on that because I assumed I had missed something more fundamental.

Any suggestions?

Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Would it be a simpler proposition to install a wireless card in the computer and have the computer provide internet to the the switch?

I gather however that this means that internet access would only be available to the switch when the computer is on. Most of the time, it would be anyway.

I'm still having problems getting everything connected, should it be this hard?