What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Potestatem - Will

New Around Here
Good morning, afternoon, evening or goodnight!

My name is Will and I am a new member of the SNB community, (although,
a long time-'ish' reader.)
I hope I have posted in the correct forum, this thread could quite easily go
into many of the different forums.
stars.png

Over the past few months or maybe even a year, I have been experimenting/learning about networks,
connectivity and slowly working through the million and a half setting combinations available with ASUS
Routers. I think I am starting to get a
basic understanding of the whole concept now...I hope!
Ideally my aim is to have a media streaming, type setup and cloud storage for my entire family to use.
I am flexible with regard to my expectations at this stage. I do not exactly have a
'need' of a network,

this is more for education and fun. I have accumulated a few bits of Networking Hardware but feel that
I am lacking a starting point /plan of how to best utilise the various toys I have, to the best effect.

I currently have:
Draytek Vigor 130 .........................................................ADSL Modem
ASUS RT-AC3200.......................................................Wireless Router
TP-Link Archer C7 ...........................................Wireless Router (AC1750)
Synology DS216se .................................................Two Bay NAS Drive
ISP Supplied Routers ....................I have Drawers filled with the bloody things!
If necessary I am open to swapping out bits and pieces to improve the overall
outcome and make the best possible use of my connection.

I have signal strength that never drops below 70% in every area of my home,

garden and there is even a healthy signal at the bottom of the street, thanks to
my Asus router. I don't see any benefit to extending the signal any further, but
may of course be wrong!

1) Would 'Access Point Mode' provide any benefits I may
have overlooked? besides wireless signal range.
2) Is it possible to use both routers in tandem? Could I
somehow merge the wireless signals into one connection?
With one SSID? and (I presume) would have to be one

rather smart, Smart Switch configuration.
I have to say, I haven't been overly impressed with the Synology NAS drive. The
CPU seems to be continuously tapped out and the software always seems to be

slow and choppy. I have found that the Synology-community Emby extension/
addon doesnt seem to perform very well on my 'Starter level' NAS drive. (Plus the
Emby LG TV app isn't pretty enough for my liking!)

3) I have been considering building a replacement, PC/
basic-server to take the place of the 'DS216se'. In my
admittedly, limited view, I figure it's got to be better than
most cheap NAS setups... Is that a correct assumption?

It is maybe also worth mentioning that I live in a small town in the NW of England
which unfortunately means my best possible connection speeds are crap to start
with! Finally...
4) Is it at all possible for two individual DSL lines to be
amalgamated together, so they act as one individual
connection? Or would I require some kind of dedicated high
speed line to upgrade my connection?
I am really, just hoping for a nudge in the right direction or even, a

suggestion on any relevant reading material, that might help me get
started. If I can identify the best setup, then the research can begin.
I am more than happy to put in the hours doggedly reading one
confusing concept, after another.
Many Thanks

Will

I have just one suggestion. Whatever you do, keep a simple drawing of what you are doing on a piece of paper for future references to avoid doing same or similar things over and over. As an old senior I just
can't trust my long term memory so that is the habit I developed. Living in a typical suburban 2 story
house, always one router was enough for our needs. Maybe the reason is router is located in the sweet spot
of the house as far as coverage is concerned. To find the spot, I crawled in the attic, hang the router off ceiling here and there. Best spot ended up being in the upstairs loft. I have two desk tops in the basement.
Recording studio audio work station, our small business book keeping desk top is supported by either wireless or cable connection including wireless printer. Main floor has home theater managed by HTPC. Wife is always streaming soap operas coming from our old country. 3 iPhones, 3 iPADs, upstairs has my main desk top with NAS using surveillance stations, laptop controlling my HAM station, Another laptop used by my son when he is home. In the garage I play with laptop connected to family cars doing this and that on ECUs. My idea is always do more with less..... So far one router does it.

4) Is it at all possible for two individual DSL lines to be
amalgamated together, so they act as one individual

connection? Or would I require some kind of dedicated high
speed line to upgrade my connection?

i will try and answer this one for you

what you are asking about is link aggregation or bonding of the wan ports , for this to happen you need a router that supports such function and you also need both provided dsl line suppliers to support it , only then would the 2 dsl line add together , not sure about the UK but here in OZ none of our isp's support aggregation so its not possible

if you want faster you prob do need to look at some sort of cable or fiber if its available

TonyH I totally agree with the note taking! the number of times I have ended up testing the same options and the same ideas again after a few weeks have lapsed. Organisation is not my strong point. Incidentally your NAS drive a store standard one or some sort of custom job?

Link Aggregation sounds like my only option, if its even possible that is. There is no other available option with regard to cable or fibre in my area. I will possibly get a quote to have my own high speed line laid, but suspect it will not be financially viable.

Cheers for your responses guys. its time to start a little research.

Will

I have just one suggestion. Whatever you do, keep a simple drawing of what you are doing on a piece of paper for future references to avoid doing same or similar things over and over. As an old senior I just
can't trust my long term memory so that is the habit I developed.

I agree - a comp notebook is one of the best tools an engineer can have... don't trust memory, it'll fool you...

Back in my management days - if one of my "kids" (e.g. direct reports) showed up without a notebook, I'd send them back to fetch it. And this was a lesson taught to me by my manager when I was a new/freshly minted engineer..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!