What's new

Stuck downloading Astrill : (TelNet) (RT-AC88U) Could not open connection to the host, on port 23

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vincent_S

New Around Here
Hi all,

It's been quite a stressful last few hours for me. I'm an expat living in China with little knowledge about routers. Anyway, I got myself an RT-AC88U some time ago and I've been trying to add my Astrill VPN service to it. In order to download Astrill on the latest version of Merlin (384.14_2) I need to go through cmd and input the following command: telnet 192.168.50.1. Whenever I try that I get stuck on the following error prompt:

C:\Users\vince> telnet 192.168.50.1
Connecting To 192.168.50.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

I've tried taking of the firewalls from both the router and windows itself, I've tried port forwarding (though I have no clue what it does and if it would have actually done anything)

Ive been using this link to follow a step by step guide on what to do, for my location where I'm stuck on the exact tutorial, refer to TELNET METHOD 1.

If any more information is required let me know, I'm all out of ideas for now.

The router doesn't support telnet anymore, it was removed years ago because it's a security risk. The instructions you're following are for an ancient version of the firmware.

I don't know anything about Astrill so can't help you with that but try to find some current instructions.

Use SSH instead of telnet to connect to your router.