What's new

Solved Stumped - Forum newbie with RTAX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beth

New Around Here
I have been using a RT-AX86U successfully in dual WAN mode with Charter Spectrum and TMobile home internet for over a year. Last Saturday, 11/26/22, I pulled out the TMobile router to test at my brother's. Last Sunday, 11/27/22, I turned off dual WAN mode, the RT-AX86U rebooted, and the Charter Spectrum connection did not come back up. I made NO other ASUS router changes. I contacted Charter and that was no help. I had an old Netgear single WAN router that I connected to the TMobile home internet router, so I could bring up my home and office network on TMobile.

I restored the ASUS to factory default and created new wireless networks for troubleshooting and testing the Charter connection. The configuration on the ASUS router is simple and I am running the factory OS (not Merlin). The ASUS router has been intermittently reporting problems with DHCP on the Charter connection, which is consistent with what I observe on my Win11 Lenovo laptop (no changes with laptop config). See attached screen snap shots. However, there are times when the ASUS must have a Charter Spectrum internet connection because I can perform a speed test from the router interface, but there is no internet connection at the client, either wired or wireless.

I've had the Charter Spectrum modem for several years, so I decided to get it replaced to eliminate hardware gremlins. I connected and activated a new Charter Spectrum modem, yesterday, 12/02/22. ASUS was reporting the DHCP error and I did some research. I've changed the ASUS DHCP frequency setting from Continuous to Normal, based upon something I read about Charter Spectrum ignoring DHCP requests, if they are too frequent.

I truly am stumped on what to do next. BTW, I have intermediate level knowledge of networking, but it's been years since I've been hands on in any environment besides my home network. TIA for any advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-03 152829.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-03 152829.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DHCP ISP error 2022-12-02 092723.jpg
    DHCP ISP error 2022-12-02 092723.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 64
Dual WAN feature doesn't work reliably on Asus routers. There is a custom script addressing the issues:

About your connection issue - many had similar issues with different ISPs. Try disabling Network Monitoring in Administration, System.

Dual WAN feature doesn't work reliably on Asus routers. There is a custom script addressing the issues:

About your connection issue - many had similar issues with different ISPs. Try disabling Network Monitoring in Administration, System.
Thanks! I should have included that I have been using Dual WAN in Load Balance Mode, but will definitely check out the script. Now is probably the time to start using the Merlin firmware. :)

Thanks! I should have included that I have been using Dual WAN in Load Balance Mode, but will definitely check out the script. Now is probably the time to start using the Merlin firmware. :)
UPDATE: It appears I had more than one issue with my connection. My Charter Spectrum cable signal was apparently too high, so a Charter tech put some splitters on the line to normalize the signal. I think I also had some ASUS configuration issues. I took the opportunity to load the Merlin firmware, fixed the config issues and I am back in service with dual WAN load balance mode.

I've had the Charter Spectrum modem for several years, so I decided to get it replaced to eliminate hardware gremlins. I connected and activated a new Charter Spectrum modem, yesterday, 12/02/22. ASUS was reporting the DHCP error and I did some research. I've changed the ASUS DHCP frequency setting from Continuous to Normal, based upon something I read about Charter Spectrum ignoring DHCP requests, if they are too frequent.

say, can you share what modem you received ?? mine is a few years old as well, thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!