What's new

Subnet blues/static route

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tooandrew

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone, I have a netgear r8000 and an asus rt-ac66u running merlin build set up with the r8000 set as the primary router.

As much as I would love to simply put my rt-ac66u in AP mode and be done with it, the vpn server on the netgear is painfully slow and the asus can't host the vpn server in AP mode.

The netgear is 192.168.1.1
The asus is 192.168.2.1, wan side 192.168.1.8

How do I configure a static route so they can talk to each other, what should the subnet mask be? When I try to set one on the netgear, the destination ip changes to 192.168.2.0, and the asus still can't see any network devices that are connected to the main router.

Thoughts?
I appreciate the help

subnet mask should be the same /24 or 255.255.255.0. Make sure your ASUS has a static IP on WAN

a simple route your netgear needs.
dst gateway weightage/distance
192.168.2.0/24 192.168.1.8 0

It may be just easier to bridge or use the switch chip instead. on your asus router make sure it has a route pointing to 0.0.0.0/0 with the netgear as gateway and distance of 1, a route pointing to the netgear LAN with distance of 0.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!