What's new

Subnet of ISP modem/router and merlin router AC68u must be the same

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tech lux

New Around Here
Hi,

I bought a new asus router, the ac68u rev E1. My old asus was N66U with tomato shibby firmware.

I need to keep the router/modem of my ISP, this is a must for me (I have to keep a wireless/router"backup"-connection!)

I want to configure my asus router (merlin firmware, because tomato does not work at all) with the same subnet as the ISP-modem/router. But with merlin its's not possible, with tomato it was no problem.

Dd-wrt has no nat accelleration, so i don't want to use this firmware.

Workins settings on tomato were:

Wan settings (static):
Wan ip: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1 (ip of my isp modem/router)
(dhcp starts from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.254 for connected devices)
Router Ac68u IP: 192.168.0.2
Internet cable was in de wan port!

With these settings on merlin’s firmware I have the error message: Wan Ip and router Ip must be on different subnet!

These settings on dd-wrt is no problem, but with no NAT accelleration support for fast network connection. So this is not an option for me.
Also, 1 lan port less because cannot use wan port for internet, must be connected to lan port, so 3 lan ports left.

I also want to work with adblock feature of http://www.ab-solution.info/ on the merlin firmware, and it requires the “wireless router mode”, with “access point mode” it wil not work!

So how put wan ip and lan ip on the same subnet on the merlin firmware??

Thanks!

Edit 4 april 2018:

On tomato I had the functionalities of "wireless router modem" working on the same subnet!!,and it was not working as an access point !!
Again, having my ISP modem working as a router is important. I know, I could make it work as as modem-only, but not an option for me.

Last edited:
This isn’t a Merlin issue, it’s your understanding of IP.
To do what you want the Asus (or any other router) must act only as an access point, not a router, as such NAT and ALL other router functions are not usable.
I can only assume when using the other firmwares it defaults to access point mode if you attempt the config you describe.
Your ISP modem is your only router/NAT device in that setup.

I don’t understand why wanting a ‘backup’ solution requires the ISP modem to be hooked up? Just have it sat there ready to plug in if it goes wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this, similar question lots of details answers https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1141632

The fact dd-wrt forces you to use LAN ports only is a big clue it’s just acting as a dumb access point (and so the fact NAT acceleration is not available is irrelevant as it’s not doing any NAT!!).

Put your ISP provided Gateway in bridge mode then you can use your own router. If this can't be done then do as JDB suggested and use your Asus router as a Access point.

Put your ISP provided Gateway in bridge mode then you can use your own router. If this can't be done then do as JDB suggested and use your Asus router as a Access point.
Ditto on the bridge mode. Security is going to be better with a router/ device you have access & control over vs the internet provider's option. For me I like the option of the Malware filter provided by Trend Micro included in the Asus routers. It has saved my bacon on several occasions in addition to Antivirus Firewall software I use. I don't trust Microsoft to protect me.

This isn’t a Merlin issue, it’s your understanding of IP.
To do what you want the Asus (or any other router) must act only as an access point, not a router, as such NAT and ALL other router functions are not usable.
I can only assume when using the other firmwares it defaults to access point mode if you attempt the config you describe.
Your ISP modem is your only router/NAT device in that setup.

I don’t understand why wanting a ‘backup’ solution requires the ISP modem to be hooked up? Just have it sat there ready to plug in if it goes wrong?

On tomato I had the functionalities of "wireless router modem" working on the same subnet!!,and it was not working as an access point !!
Again, having my ISP modem working as a router is important. I know, I could make it work as as modem-only, but not an option for me.

May it work with SSH or telnet or someting to force the router to use the same subnet for WAN, GATEWAY and LAN ?
I need the adblock feature, and this can't work on 'access point', does it?
I would use tomato shibby again for my new ac68u but for revE1 it does not exist...please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Two routers on one network is asking fro problems. You would have competing DHCP services.

RE: Tomato. Are you saying you also had two modems on your network?

And you want the same subnet for the WAN?

Time to bone up on network infrastructure and terminology.

Believe what has been suggested: make the secondary box an access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!