What's new

Sudden problem opening GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

george13

Occasional Visitor
I suddenly have a weird problem with my RT AC66U, and I'm unable to display the web interface. When I enter the IP then I'm asked for username and password, but after that, I get stuck with a blank screen, no messages at all, and the browser (FF) shows it the router tab the rotating icon, meaning that it's doing something.
The only way to open up the web interface, is to reboot the router, and then there is no issue anymore, as long as I leave the web page open. AND, what is weird too, after a reboot I am not asked for username and password. Once closed, then I cannot connect anymore. A couple of times I also lost the internet internet connection on the whole LAN, meaning that the router is disconnected.
On the router I have firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 installed, and up to the moment where the problem started, it was running great.
Nothing has changed on the LAN, no router settings have been modified.
Does anyone please have any idea what may be happening and most important of all, what I can do to resolve this.

I have something similar. Same fw and router.

After logging on, the browser window stays empty, while the tab is indicating it's waiting for the server to respond. This lasts for about 10-15 seconds (haven't timed it). After that the web server responds normally to browser requests.

On previous fw versions the router responded immediately, so something probably changed.

Lots of recent webui issues caused by security software such as Eset Smart Security. Disable it, or put the router's IP in the suite's whitelist.

I have tried FF, IE and chrome, and they all show the same problem.
But if an issue with the firmware, why does it only demonstrate itself after a few weeks? I think that there must be another reason, but which one. It might be good to compare the exact configuration for those that have the issue.

If security software, then why does the problem show up after for some time having run ok? And I have always had the LAN IP numbers on the safe list.
I use VIPRE, have even put the firewall in learning mode, such that it would ask me for permission to connect out or in, and nothing is being asked, which means that there is no issue with the router.
And if the firewall is the issue, then why does the issue disappear after rebooting, but only for a little while. That simply doesn't make any sense for me.

If security software, then why does the problem show up after for some time having run ok? And I have always had the LAN IP numbers on the safe list.
I use VIPRE, have even put the firewall in learning mode, such that it would ask me for permission to connect out or in, and nothing is being asked, which means that there is no issue with the router.
And if the firewall is the issue, then why does the issue disappear after rebooting, but only for a little while. That simply doesn't make any sense for me.

This is just a shot in the dark, but don't forget that security software updates itself when it's ready to do that. That's the easiest way for the security software mfr's to make sure that updates get done. You may not even notice that it is updating itself until it starts behaving differently.

The situation has worsened, and I now cannot connect to the web interface anymore. I did notice that, as I have noticed before, my PC was getting assigned 2 IP numbers, for the same MAC. Might that have something to do with it?
I also notice that the router feels much cooler than normally, which means that it is working less. Any advice please of how to resolve this issue?

Regarding the security software updates, they do occur, but doing an update doesn't change the exceptions that were added, and when I check, they are there.

The situation has worsened, and I now cannot connect to the web interface anymore. I did notice that, as I have noticed before, my PC was getting assigned 2 IP numbers, for the same MAC. Might that have something to do with it?

How are you determining that you are getting two IPs? Are they within the same subnet?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!