What's new

Suggestions on how to backup files to my NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BubbleTrouble

Occasional Visitor
I have for a few years been backing up my personal files on my Windows PC to my Synology NAS box using a differential backup method (Acronis true image 2014) which runs once a month. However of late i've had the need to be able to access my files on my NAS using my phone or tablet.
I have tried Acronis and Easeus applications to backup but this software will only backup the files as a compressed file (specific to Acronis or Easeus) which can only be accessible if you have the relevant Acronis/Easeus software installed. I also tried "freefilesync"but issue you have is you have to manually run the software and it comes with adware.
I also tried Microsoft's windows 10 own file history tool which proved to be useless as it changes the names of the files by placing times and dates in it. It also sets the file attributes to read only when you try to copy them from the NAS to another PC which was different to the one they were orignally created on.

I need software which will allow me to do the following:
Backup my files from my PC to my Synology NAS box on a daily or weekly basis.
The files need to be backedup in their original format and not stored in some encrypted proprietary format which is inaccessible if you are working remotely
Not make a mess of the file permissions so that they are stuck in read only status or prevent me from copying the files to another PC. For example if my PC blew up tomorrow I would like to have piece of mind knowing my files are stored on my NAS and that if I bought or built myself a new PC tomorrow, I could then copy my files easily from my NAS box to my new PC without any problems and have read/write access to them.

I am happy to pay for this software provided it does what it claims

does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you.

just copy paste. Most common are through SMB or FTP.

In the past i used aerofs but it doesnt exist anymore, it was a free solution that was a LAN only dropbox so every file in the folder is instantly backed up.

There are softwares that can do it for you for free but the best is for you to set up a NFS.

Install something like ownCloud or nextCloud and use the client on every PC you have. Anything you put in the client's configured folder will be uploaded to your own/nextCloud instance. Both own/nextCloud also have mobile apps too

That spec is quite an ask... and I am interested in replies as I have recently been quizzed by 2 Windows users.

A Synology box comes with a reasonable if quirky rsync, which I use to backup my IP cam pics from Raspberry Pi boxen to my Synology. I get remote file access to my Synology via OpenVPN and the Synology iOS app. It all appears to be reliable and gives zero grief, as of about 1 year of use.

rsync does what the OP asks, and more but is usually a command line tool. Windows rsync appears less commonly used and I guess users would demand a GUI; DeltaCopy looks promising but may not work on Windows 10 by the look of it although I imagine other GUIs exist.

I use FreeFileSync, which allows you to mirror/sync two folders.

DeltaCopy looks promising but may not work on Windows 10 by the look of it although I imagine other GUIs exist.

I used it for a while to rsync between a Linux HTPC and my Windows desktop. It's a bit complicated to configure properly, the UI isn't very intuitive.

I'm using SyncBackPro with several profiles set up. Works flawlessly and doesn't cause throughput issues.
Can be simple but has a lot of expert features as well. And it's totally affordable.