What's new

Suggestions on Setting AiMesh Up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edpassos

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys!

I'm setting up an AiMesh network in my house, but I have some fundamental questions. Hope you can help

At the end of the message you can see my basic setup. Unfortunately I can't get rid of my ISP Router as the position in the house the ISP could install the optical fiber is not very favorable to put a decent router and disable the ISP router. But I could pass cables to any important part of the house creating an entire wired backhaul network. Today I also have a Asus RT-AX88U in my living room (upper floor) and I want put another router on the ground floor. My main questions so far:
1. Today my AX88U router is operating in 'Wireless Router Mode (Default)'. I would like just one router distributing IPs to the network but I don't want to lose Asus features such as firewall, parental control, etc. if I change it to AP mode. How do you see it? Should I change it to AP mode for better performance anyway?
2. I'm planning to buy the router marked as '???' in the picture. It should be just a node in the AiMesh so I don't plan to get a high-end router for that task. I was planning to use an Asus AC1200 (second option so far is AC68U). What do you think?

1645319961088.png

I was planning to use an Asus AC1200 (second option so far is AC68U). What do you think?

Asus AC1200 models are not compatible with AiMesh. RT-AC68U is older tech router. Don't mix AX and AC routers. Use RT-AX58U or better.

What do you think?

Try with RT-AX88U in central location. You may not need a second router. This is the best setup.

Hi guys!

I'm setting up an AiMesh network in my house, but I have some fundamental questions. Hope you can help

At the end of the message you can see my basic setup. Unfortunately I can't get rid of my ISP Router as the position in the house the ISP could install the optical fiber is not very favorable to put a decent router and disable the ISP router. But I could pass cables to any important part of the house creating an entire wired backhaul network. Today I also have a Asus RT-AX88U in my living room (upper floor) and I want put another router on the ground floor. My main questions so far:
1. Today my AX88U router is operating in 'Wireless Router Mode (Default)'. I would like just one router distributing IPs to the network but I don't want to lose Asus features such as firewall, parental control, etc. if I change it to AP mode. How do you see it? Should I change it to AP mode for better performance anyway?
2. I'm planning to buy the router marked as '???' in the picture. It should be just a node in the AiMesh so I don't plan to get a high-end router for that task. I was planning to use an Asus AC1200 (second option so far is AC68U). What do you think?

View attachment 39651

Some options:

ISP modem <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

ISP router in bridge mode (no features) <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

ISP router in router mode (WiFi OFF) <wire> AiMesh router in AP Mode (limited features; guest WLANs not isolated from intranet) <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

Other less conventional scenarios you can likely avoid using.

Don't add the AiMesh node unless you need the coverage. Don't buy a node (or new router) without first understanding its tech specs on the Asus website... the AC1200 does not support AiMesh.

OE

Last edited:
Asus AC1200 models are not compatible with AiMesh. RT-AC68U is older tech router. Don't mix AX and AC routers. Use RT-AX58U or better.

Try with RT-AX88U in central location. You may not need a second router. This is the best setup.
Thanks for your comments. Any reason not to use AC with AX routers (except performance of course, as this second router is supposed to cover a small area)?

Some options:

ISP modem <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

ISP router in bridge mode (no features) <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

ISP router in router mode (WiFi OFF) <wire> AiMesh router in AP Mode (limited features; guest WLANs not isolated from intranet) <wire/wireless> AiMesh node

Other less conventional scenarios you can likely avoid using.

Don't add the AiMesh node unless you need the coverage. Don't buy a node (or new router) without first understanding its tech specs on the Asus website... the AC1200 does not support AiMesh.

OE
Thanks for your answer.

Today I use the first option (ISP modem <wire> AiMesh router <wire/wireless>), I'd like to go with ISP router in bridge mode, but unfortunately I can't do that because I have wired connections to other devices (TV, computer). This is one of the reasons I would get the second router and place it really close to the ISP router "replacing" its functions (I think this is the only way today I could make it bridge).

Regarding the AC1200, I got the misleading information due to some sellers advertising it as AiMesh compatible (not as the main router, but as a node).