What's new

Support for cpufreq governors (ondemand, conservative)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mad_ady

Regular Contributor
I see that the kernel running on my ASUS RT-AC56U doesn't support cpufreq and I can't change governors. I'm guessing it is using performance, which explains the high cpu temperature (80C).
@RMerlin: Does ASUS provide kernel sources and a build environment? Can you see if you can add cpufreq support? Has anyone tested other governors?

Thanks!

There are absolutely no point in changing governors. The CPU doesn't support multiple power states anyway.

Oh, I thought all ARM processors are designed with low power usage in mind, so I thought a lower frequency (in idle moments) could mean a cooler CPU.

FWIW - The CPU - Cortex-A9 - does support different states, however the Asus kernel doesn't enable them and for good reason - comes down to latency... and this isn't an area for a Router/AP to worry about. AsusWRT here is running a very old kernel, so it doesn't have all the newer stuff there... and it's not needed in an application like this.

I agree with RMerlin - don't even try to mess with this.

PS - folks worry too much about heat - the chips are qualified to a rather high temp, and Asus has done a decent job about keeping them cool at stock clocks.