What's new

Support for ext4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cryos

New Around Here
I just got an AC66U and was trying to mount an existing data drive to find ext4 is not supported. Does the latest Asuswrt-Merlin support ext4 (couldn't find anything saying it did). If not, what are the chances of adding this?

I just got an AC66U and was trying to mount an existing data drive to find ext4 is not supported. Does the latest Asuswrt-Merlin support ext4 (couldn't find anything saying it did). If not, what are the chances of adding this?

The kernel used by the router is too old. ext4 support was only officially added later on (with 2.6.28).

Backporting is always a possibility, however I wouldn't trust the integrity of my data to a backported filesystem, just in case there might be issues in other parts of the kernel that have been fixed after 2.6.22.19, and could be triggered by the backported code. Unless someone were to comb through all the changesets in the kernel between 2.6.22 and 2.6.28. I'm far too lazy for that. :)

Personally, I'm hoping to see Asus eventually move to a newer SDK for their Broadcom-based routers. I know Ralink has moved to the 3.x kernel by now in their newer SDKs, not sure about Broadcom. But I suspect that even if they did, it would only be for newer SoCs.

Backporting is always a possibility, however I wouldn't trust the integrity of my data to a backported filesystem, just in case there might be issues in other parts of the kernel that have been fixed after 2.6.22.19, and could be triggered by the backported code. Unless someone were to comb through all the changesets in the kernel between 2.6.22 and 2.6.28.
Oh, yes. There was SO many tests to make sure it works. For torrents, mostly:) (posix_fallocate and so on). Without preallocation, 18Mb torrent content spreads to ~500 pieces on disk in my example.

Personally, I'm hoping to see Asus eventually move to a newer SDK for their Broadcom-based routers. I know Ralink has moved to the 3.x kernel by now in their newer SDKs, not sure about Broadcom. But I suspect that even if they did, it would only be for newer SoCs.
We hoped that since WL-500G premium v1 in 2008: ))
Leave that hope.

Last edited:
Oh, yes. There was SO many tests to make sure it works. For torrents, mostly:) (posix_fallocate and so on). Without preallocation, 18Mb torrent content spreads to ~500 pieces on disk on my example.

We hoped that since WL-500G premium v1 in 2008: ))
Leave that hope.

It will eventually happen, it only depends on what Broadcom uses in their SDK.

I'm actually surprised that they are still on kernel 2.6.22.19 with SDK 6.x, unless it's Asus who decided to stick to that kernel for uniformity. I'd have to check what Netgear or DLink used with their 802.11ac routers.