What's new

Support for TS-219P II - going forward what does it mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
As QNAP discontinues support for older systems the 219P II being one of them. It continues to work with no issues. What does it mean in general terms? security? I mainly use it for LAN backups but I do tunnel in via FTP periodically when travelling using SFTP. I would assume updates on my router are the important ones for overall LAN health. ( I don't have enough router CPU power to run a VPN at a reasonable speed and have though of putting something together at some point)
I plan to continue with the QNAP till it gives me reason to replace it with either a newer NAS or build a NAS (I ran FreeNAS at one point).
As a side note would a built up Micro-ATX box be a solid choice to run VPN and as a NAS?

Thanks

I would make sure that you don't expose any service to the Internet to be safe. If you must, limit that to an OpenVPN server, and use it to connect to your NAS's other services.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!