What's new

Support Timeline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

0ups

New Around Here
I would like to know if AX88U should get Merlin updates as long as for example AX86U, since it is an older model. Am guessing it should since last cutoff was for all AC routers at the same time.

Welcome to the forums @0ups.

I would not bet money on that guess. The RT-AX86U is a much more current and superior model over the RT-AX88U (which itself was great until the 'AX86U came along).

The answer is that it will continue getting updates until Asus stops providing GPL drops for that model. Nobody can predict when that will be though. Even though Asus is going above and beyond most other consumer router manufacturers by providing security and feature firmware updates far beyond what other manufacturers currently do.

Alright thanks, then which router would most likely be supported for the longest ? I'm not looking for any guarantees, I'm gratefull for all the hard work on this awesome software, just looking for an educated guess.

then which router would most likely be supported for the longest ?
Only people from Asus can answer that question. It's pretty much just speculation and educated guessing on everyone else's part. Best you can do is buy the router that suits your needs the best (and that you can afford), and cross your fingers and hope Asus supports it as long as they have for older models like the RT-AC68U. For newer model releases hope to get 3 years or so of continual support out of Asus. Getting longer support then that, consider your very fortunate as other router manufacturers tend not to support their routers for as long as Asus does for it's major models.

Edit to add: Asus's End of Life Product list:
https://www.asus.com/event/network/EOL-product/
When a product is end-of-life, it means:
  • It is no longer manufactured
  • Its certification will not be renewed
  • Its firmware, utility, website, DM, QSG and manual will not be updated
  • It may be replaced by a new product with updated hardware and similar functions
If the product/version1 you are looking for is end-of-life, it is recommended to purchase the latest version or other similar models2. However, an EOL will not change the limited warranty period for hardware.
[Wireless / Networking] How to check if a product is End-of-life (EOL)?

Last edited:
The answer is that it will continue getting updates until Asus stops providing GPL drops for that model.
I think the question was "if AX88U should get Merlin updates as long as for example AX86U"
Only @RMerlin can answer that question.

I would like to know if AX88U should get Merlin updates as long as for example AX86U, since it is an older model.
Impossible to predict because it depends on too many factors, such as Asus' own support, if they would still able to provide me with support code for a model even after they drop support for it, etc...

since last cutoff was for all AC routers at the same time.
Support for AC models was NOT dropped. They are simply not being moved to the 388 code base, and will continue being updated in the 386 code base, in parallel to the AX models on the 388 branch.

Reactions: jsz
If you're considering buying an AX88, I would wager you'll get at least another 3 good years of support from Asus and Merlin before the WiFi7 stuff starts rolling out to market, @0ups
They're currently in that "sweet spot" of price, performance and technological currency IMO

Personally, I would only consider an RT-AX88U if it`s at a discount.

I would like to know if AX88U should get Merlin updates as long as for example AX86U

I expect the same support for both. Both are similar hardware and already replaced by newer GT-AX6000 and AX86U Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.