What's new

Support zoneedit DDNS with SSL (https)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanbop

New Around Here
Is it possible to configure to have the zoneedit DDNS connection happen over SSL (https) instead of plain http?
The logs currently show it using port 80 (using the latest - 384.4_2 - firmware version):

ddns_update: connected to dynamic.zoneedit.com (64.68.198.48) on port 80.

The 10 years old DDNS client used by Asus has no SSL support.

Thanks for the info. I guess one could always write a custom DDNS script using wget (which does seem to have proper SSL support)

Thanks for the info. I guess one could always write a custom DDNS script using wget (which does seem to have proper SSL support)

Both wget and curl have SSL support. I recommend going with Curl if possible, since I keep it more up-to-date than wget.

Merlin,

I've noticed that others are having custom DDNS issues as am I. A ddns-script that works flawlessly in 380.69_2 fails on 384.4_2 using an RT-AC68. Is this a bug or has the syntax changed?

Merlin,

I've noticed that others are having custom DDNS issues as am I. A ddns-script that works flawlessly in 380.69_2 fails on 384.4_2 using an RT-AC68. Is this a bug or has the syntax changed?

Nothing has changed to the DDNS custom script syntax - it's just a general Linux script with no special requirements.

More information would be required to troubleshoot things. The only issues I remember seeing were generally tied to the built-in services (like Asus's own DDNS service).

This works in 380.69_2 and fails in 384.4_2

#!/bin/sh
# Update the following variables:
HOSTNAME=<removed>
DOMAIN=<removed>
PASSWORD=<removed>

# Should be no need to modify anything beyond this point
IP=$(wget -O - -q http://myip.dnsomatic.com/)
logger "Retrieved External IP: $IP"

/usr/sbin/wget --no-check-certificate -qO - "https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain...NAME&domain=$DOMAIN&password=$PASSWORD&ip=$IP"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi

Working log:

Mar 28 09:57:43 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: 192.168.100.108)
Mar 28 09:57:45 admin: Retrieved External IP: 157.97.121.170
Mar 28 09:57:47 ddns: Completed custom ddns update

Failing log:

Mar 28 17:03:35 watchdog: start ddns.
Mar 28 17:03:35 rc_service: watchdog 271:notify_rc start_ddns
Mar 28 11:03:35 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
Mar 28 11:03:35 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: 192.168.100.103)

What happens when you run the script directly in a terminal? Any error message?

Interesting!

/jffs/scripts$ sh ddns-start
ddns-start: line 6: : not found
ddns-start: line 10: : not found
ddns-start: line 16: syntax error: unexpected "fi" (expecting "then")
<?xml version="1.0"?><interface-response><Command>SETDNSHOST</Command><Language>eng</Language><ErrCount>1</ErrCount><errors><Err1>Passwords do not match</Err1></errors><ResponseCount>1</ResponseCount><responses><response><ResponseNumber>304156</ResponseNumber><ResponseString>Validation error; invalid ; password</ResponseString></response></responses><Done>true</Done><debug><![CDATA[]]></debug></interface-response>

Interesting!

/jffs/scripts$ sh ddns-start
ddns-start: line 6: : not found
ddns-start: line 10: : not found
ddns-start: line 16: syntax error: unexpected "fi" (expecting "then")
<?xml version="1.0"?><interface-response><Command>SETDNSHOST</Command><Language>eng</Language><ErrCount>1</ErrCount><errors><Err1>Passwords do not match</Err1></errors><ResponseCount>1</ResponseCount><responses><response><ResponseNumber>304156</ResponseNumber><ResponseString>Validation error; invalid ; password</ResponseString></response></responses><Done>true</Done><debug><![CDATA[]]></debug></interface-response>

Try running this:

Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/ddns-start

Then try again.

We were on the same path. Thanks for the help. The blank lines were removed in the WinSCP editor and it worked as above. The blank lines were added back in with the WinSCP editor and it still works. Some "dos" junk must have gotten in there!

We were on the same path. Thanks for the help. The blank lines were removed in the WinSCP editor and it worked as above. The blank lines were added back in with the WinSCP editor and it still works. Some "dos" junk must have gotten in there!

Those "blank" likes are because DOS-formatted files will end each line with both a linefeed and a carriage return. Under Linux only a linefeed is used. Those lines containing a carriage returns were messing up the script, preventing its execution. dos2unix takes care of removing all carriage returns.