What's new

Surface Laptop 3 Intel AX201 & RT-AX88U only connecting on AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mindfrost82

Occasional Visitor
I setup my RT-AX88U the other day and initially my Surface Laptop 3 would connect on AX, and continued to use AX after flashing to Merlin Firmware.

Going through the forums, I made all the usual tweak suggestions (set control channels for 2.4GHz & 5GHz, disabled Airtime Fairness, disabled Universal Beamforming, etc).

At some point during the tweaks, my Surface Laptop 3 will only connect to AC (according to the Win10 WiFi properties and according to the RT-AX88U).

I have 160MHz enabled since the Intel AX201 supports it.

I'm not sure if there's a specific setting that caused this. I've tried undoing changes one-by-one but it continues to only connect on AC.

EDIT: It's worth noting that the two iPhone 11 Pro's we have in the house show they're still using AX, so it appears to only be the Surface Laptop 3 with the Intel AX201 card. I also installed the latest driver from Intel's site.

Any thoughts on this or suggestions to try?

Last edited:
You didn't do a full reset/Initialize all settings after flashing to RMerlin firmware?

Try setting up a Guest network with full access with an SSID you've never connected to before that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, special characters or smiley faces. Pair that with a 16 alphanumeric character password with the same attributes.

You didn't do a full reset/Initialize all settings after flashing to RMerlin firmware?

Try setting up a Guest network with full access with an SSID you've never connected to before that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, special characters or smiley faces. Pair that with a 16 alphanumeric character password with the same attributes.

I did do a full reset after I flashed RMerlin and also used a new SSID when setting up the new router. It also connected to AX fine after I first flashed RMerlin, it only connects on AC now after doing tweaks. I just can't seem to narrow down what combination of changes caused AX to stop working with this laptop.

Disregard this post. Stupid on my part. I just checked the Advanced driver settings on the Intel AX201 and somehow it was set to AC mode. I never changed that, so I'm not sure how it got set that way. Either way, I changed it back to AX and now all is well again.

See if the new Guest SSID with the indicated attributes changes anything.

You did reboot the router and the laptop between your tweaks, correct? :)