What's new

Surface Mounted Box Cat6 (2 RJ45 connectors)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taino718

Occasional Visitor
I purchased 3 surface mounted boxes with two ports. The boxes support 2 CAT6 separate connections T568A/T568B. I am currently wiring all cables using standard T568b. I would like to wire the two RJ45 jacks from a single CAT6 cable. One port would be for the AP and the other port would connect to a long CAT6 cable to the other side of the house.

I can run an additional cable to the second port but would like not to have to make another cable.

Any recommedations would help.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2011:)

You can split the wire pairs using two pair for each RJ45. You'll have to use your own color code and the connection will support only 10/100 Ethernet.

I recommend you pull the second cable.

Thanks for the quick response and recommendation. I added a "gif" diagram of what I want to accomplish.

It looks like a second CAT6 is the way to go.

Gracias!

Attachments

• Surface Mount Box.jpg
    Surface Mount Box.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 220
You can't connect two devices to one switch/router port.
Run the second cable if you want full Gigabit Ethernet.

Got It!

Thanks guys for clearing up my understanding of RJ45 ports and ethernet cables. I did as was suggested and all is running well.

Finished installation of entire first floor apartment with CAT6 cable to 12 locations which include the kitchen and bathroom area. I used all CAT6 connectors and ethernet cable.

I also ran CAT3 for telephone and RJ6 coaxial cable to six locations. All in a structured box with two Dlink 1000g switches. I also added an AP to the mix. I am currently looking into the purchase of a two drive NAS.

Again, the information shared here is very helpful.

Happy New Year 2011 to all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!