What's new

Suricata Suricata 6 is available for testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This was overtaxing for the AC86 as I recall, so the AX-series hardware can probably better handle it

The AC86 is dual core, 512mb, AX86S is same and the AX86U is quad core 1g.

Last edited:
AX68U/AX86S will have the same limitations as AC86U.
disagree. double the processing cores and RAM will have a not insignificant effect on how well it works on a router. If it can use the swap that is encouraged with entware install, I'd wager this time it has a better than fighting chance

What double CPU and RAM? Both AX routers above have dual core CPU and 512MB RAM. Same as AC86U. Check the specifications.

I have no intentions to test it. The best router I currently have is AX88U, but I have to fix some things on it first. It has 1GB RAM, Suricata takes 1.5GB RAM on my x86 firewall in light configuration. In theory it can't be compatible with NAT acceleration in home routers. The traffic has to be processed by the CPU.

The AX86S...oh Asus, stop playing silly games like that please. unless the price difference is significant - $100 less for the S vs U kind of thing.
smh.

There is no price difference. AX86S now is at the same price what AX86U used to sell for. AX86U got more expensive. COVID marketing.

this is untenable, this war.

There is no price difference. AX86S now is at the same price what AX86U used to sell for. AX86U got more expensive. COVID marketing.
Maybe in your country but not in the UK. Here the prices of both units (both RRP and occasionally discounted) have been consistent. The AX86S being £50 cheaper.

Maybe in your country

I don't have my own country yet. I currently reside in Ontario, Canada. @heysoundude is somewhere around.

AX86S - 320CAD - available
AX86U - 330CAD - backorder
AX86U - 390CAD - available, Gundam Edition
AX86U - 410CAD - available, Newegg Fair Price Edition ;)

Last edited:
Indeed I am @Tech9 - in the original wine country, just downstream from that famous cliff with water that honeymooners go to. (It's always been a spot for gamblers lol) - howdy, neighbour!

And yes, can confirm those prices. At my fave (and nearest) retailer named after our hme and native land, they have a Black Friday (limit 2 per customer) special of AC86u for $150 Canuckistan shekels...cheap to get a 5GHz mesh happening with those. Hedge against a glut of AX stuff coming after the chip shortage and shipping backlogs end. and I'd say This Is The Way for anyone still running an AC68

That a great price! I grew up on the US side of that famous waterfall and now live across the lake - Rochester NY.
Our local Best Buy has the AC86U at $179 USD

BTW, great Ice Wines where you live!

Guys, this is complete off-topic. ;)

At my fave (and nearest) retailer named after our hme and native land

I guess, Fairview Mall. I go to your area every Friday. To other areas other days of the week. No time for AX88U fixing and Suricata testing.

AC86U at $179 USD

AC86U, AX58U and AX68U all CAD150 currently. Sometimes we get the better deal. All 512MB RAM routers, not good for Suricata testing.

Apologies, @ryzhov_al.

Yeah, from Suricata to routers to Ice wine - LOL! (You were here, nearby, yesterday then @Tech9 ...and you didn't call or stop by. Shame ;-p )

back on track- how does the transition to Rust improve things, @ryzhov_al ? or does it?

Just like Suricata6 tests: no valuable feedback so far:)
Surprising (and disappointing, even), given the 8 Likes to your announcement post at the top of this thread. But maybe no news is good news?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!