What's new

Switch and different IP addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MjWoneR

Occasional Visitor
I’m currently using WiFi but I would like to have a switch by the TV table to connect all devices (Apple TV, PS4, AVR, TV) by Ethernet to improve connection and stability.

Now with WiFi each device has its own local IP, I can see the devices on the network, forward ports, access some web GUI etc.

How do local IP addresses work with a switch?
Do a need a special switch?

IP address aren't effected by switches (unless they are layer 3 switches) because they operate at the Ethernet level, not the IP level.

That said, if you change your client from a wireless connection to a wired connection its MAC address will change (because the client is now using a different network interface). So you will have to change any IP reservations you have made to reflect the new MAC addresses.

IP address aren't effected by switches (unless they are layer 3 switches) because they operate at the Ethernet level, not the IP level.

That said, if you change your client from a wireless connection to a wired connection its MAC address will change (because the client is now using a different network interface). So you will have to change any IP reservations you have made to reflect the new MAC addresses.
Ah I understand, thank you. That makes life much easier.
For some reason I was wrongly under the impression that each ethernet port gives one local IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!