1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Switch and different IP addresses?

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by MjWoneR, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MjWoneR

MjWoneR Occasional Visitor

I’m currently using WiFi but I would like to have a switch by the TV table to connect all devices (Apple TV, PS4, AVR, TV) by Ethernet to improve connection and stability.

Now with WiFi each device has its own local IP, I can see the devices on the network, forward ports, access some web GUI etc.

How do local IP addresses work with a switch?
    Do a need a special switch?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

IP address aren't effected by switches (unless they are layer 3 switches) because they operate at the Ethernet level, not the IP level.

That said, if you change your client from a wireless connection to a wired connection its MAC address will change (because the client is now using a different network interface). So you will have to change any IP reservations you have made to reflect the new MAC addresses.

MjWoneR likes this.
  3. MjWoneR

MjWoneR Occasional Visitor

Ah I understand, thank you. That makes life much easier.
    For some reason I was wrongly under the impression that each ethernet port gives one local IP.