What's new

Switch recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kannanni

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I am planning to use a spare unused ac68u as a switch. Could you guys please recommend the best way. Set it as an AP with disabled WiFi, or as a router with disabled Nat, DHCP and WiFi?
Or will it be better if I buy for example: a cheap unmanaged TP link switch?

It has to be gigabit connection though as it will be used to transfer high amounts of data fast.

Cheers

Buy a switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a switch
I agree. Buy a cheap unmanaged gigabit switch. Much smaller footprint, less power consumption, no setup issues and less issues with location.

Hi there,

I am planning to use a spare unused ac68u as a switch. Could you guys please recommend the best way. Set it as an AP with disabled WiFi, or as a router with disabled Nat, DHCP and WiFi?
Or will it be better if I buy for example: a cheap unmanaged TP link switch?

It has to be gigabit connection though as it will be used to transfer high amounts of data fast.

Cheers
These switches are so cheap. Don't expect the quality.
SG105 or SG108

These switches are so cheap. Don't expect the quality.
SG105 or SG108

I have several TP-Link both the unmanaged and managed versions and the oldest one has been in service for five years with no issues.

That being said converting an old router into a switch works just fine and prevents another piece of obsolete gear from being sent to the landfill.

To make a router into a switch just turn of the radios and the DHCP server. Remove the antennas if you want. The LAN ports will work as a gig switch. Do not use the WAN port unless old router's firmware will let you add it to the LAN. If you choose to switch it to the AP mode then the AC68's firmware will let you use the WAN as a LAN port, but in this mode I'm not sure if you can disable the WiFi.

... converting an old router into a switch works just fine and prevents another piece of obsolete gear from being sent to the landfill
Good point but I rarely toss one; hot spare, backup, play device, donation to "friends and family". the list goes on ...

Just passed on an old N66U to a young friend. It fixed the problems he was having with his ISP equipment, saved him $5/$10 per month (leasing) and saved him $100 out-of-pocket whilst wondering if buying would be the "right mistake".

I still have a couple of Linksys 54Gs around from circa 2004. One I am using as a switch behind my TV to provide multiple Ethernet feeds for the TV, Roku and a Tivo. Fast Ethernet is plenty of bandwidth for this application since only a single device is streaming at a time.

Hi guys,

I’m now using my spare ac68u converted to a switch. Super quick for the moment for my needs. If I see any issues I’ll go and get a switch.
Thanks for your time to all of you

I’m now using my spare ac68u converted to a switch. Super quick for the moment for my needs. If I see any issues I’ll go and get a switch.
Which approach did you take? Set up as router and disabled features or set up as an AP and disabled features?

I tried the ap mode however I couldn’t turn the radios off. So it’s now on router mode with dhcp,nat,upnp and all radios off. Of course I had to manually change the gateway to something different to the main router. I only needed 3 ports so this is perfect at the moment

I tried the ap mode however I couldn’t turn the radios off. So it’s now on router mode with dhcp,nat,upnp and all radios off. Of course I had to manually change the gateway to something different to the main router. I only needed 3 ports so this is perfect at the moment

Just curious did you try using the WiFi on/off switch on the router's side to manually check if the radios would turn off?

wondering that turning off wifi wont be possible in AP mode, I had no problem to turn off radios 2.4G and/or 5G separately on both 68U and 86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!