What's new

Switch with Bandwith limiter per interface?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am sure you can do it in the Cisco switches. One of my Cisco small business switches has 8 queues in it. I am not sure you can find one for 100 EURO maybe used. How much is a 100 EURO now in dollars?

What about just linking the port at 100 instead of 1000?

I am sure you can do it in the Cisco switches. One of my Cisco small business switches has 8 queues in it. I am not sure you can find one for 100 EURO maybe used. How much is a 100 EURO now in dollars?

What about just linking the port at 100 instead of 1000?

I found this one for arround 100USD.

100USD is almost 100EURO.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...igabit-smart-switch/model.html#~tab-downloads

Seems to be much more "stable" and "professional" against the netgear switches.

Thank you!

cisco and all the other professional switches like juniper, dell, hp, etc are far more stable and better than netgear. Mikrotik is another cheap choice too but sometimes the switch config can vary and some of their managed switches have the configuration as part of the main OS so you cant tell whether or not the limit is applied via the switch chip or CPU. As for me having 2 different mikrotik switches can be a pain when trying to trunk link them together as what they support in hardware is different for both for trunks.

Still if its a choice between mikrotik and netgear i'd go with mikrotik. cisco's switch line even at the entry level dwarfs how bad their cisco rv line is compared to their pro router line and is a very good choice if you can get one.

cisco and all the other professional switches like juniper, dell, hp, etc are far more stable and better than netgear. Mikrotik is another cheap choice too but sometimes the switch config can vary and some of their managed switches have the configuration as part of the main OS so you cant tell whether or not the limit is applied via the switch chip or CPU. As for me having 2 different mikrotik switches can be a pain when trying to trunk link them together as what they support in hardware is different for both for trunks.

Still if its a choice between mikrotik and netgear i'd go with mikrotik. cisco's switch line even at the entry level dwarfs how bad their cisco rv line is compared to their pro router line and is a very good choice if you can get one.

Thank you for your post.

I couldnt find so many alternatives yet, the only one i found is this one that has port rate ingress and egress limiting.

Cisco SG200
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OA6VUA/?tag=snbforums-20

I think I would buy a SG300 over a SG200 Cisco switch. The new line is SG250 and SG350 switches. I run both a SG200 and a SG300. The SG300 I run in layer 3 mode so it does all my local routing. The SG200 and SG300 have been replaced with the SG250 and SG350 line of switches so I would look for used in the old line of switches.

I also have a SG500x-24 layer 3 switch which is a 10 gig Cisco switch. The fans are a little noisy. I could replace them with quieter fans which I have not done.

PS
I am wrong about the SG200-8 cisco switch. It is not EOL. I just looked it up. I have one at my entertainment center. I wanted the plugs on the back at my entertainment center. It works fine. I have it trunked to my SG300 layer 3 Cisco switch.

Last edited:
The TP-Link smart switches do bandwidth limit per port. Like I have the TL-SG2216 and it does it. I can't say how well it works as I have never used that feature with it.

The SG200-8 works fine at my entertainment center. I wanted cables on the back so I did not have to look at them. I run 2 VLANs and 1 wireless Cisco WAP371 device off the SG200-8. I also have an AppleTV4K, smart TV, BlueRay, all running off the switch with wire.

The SG200-8 is limited in QOS compared to a SG300 switch. I included a menu picture on the SG200-8.

PS
Just looking at the manual for the Netgear 108 posted above it looks like the Netgear probably is more limited than the Cisco SG200-8 switch.

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
The SG200-8 works fine at my entertainment center. I wanted cables on the back so I did not have to look at them. I run 2 VLANs and 1 wireless Cisco WAP371 device off the SG200-8. I also have an AppleTV4K, smart TV, BlueRay, all running off the switch with wire.

The SG200-8 is limited in QOS compared to a SG300 switch. I included a menu picture on the SG200-8.

PS
Just looking at the manual for the Netgear 108 posted above it looks like the Netgear probably is more limited than the Cisco SG200-8 switch.

Thank you all!

CISCO SG200 emulator here:
https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb...lator_v1-2-9/config/home_SG_200-50P_1_2_9.htm

TP-link TL-SG2216 emulator here:
https://emulator.tp-link.com/TL-SG2216/Index.htm

I was in fact looking for a switch that can go for years without need of "reboot", something really stable and professional.

I need to read more reviews, what should you choose?

Thank you all!

CISCO SG200 emulator here:
https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb...lator_v1-2-9/config/home_SG_200-50P_1_2_9.htm

TP-link TL-SG2216 emulator here:
https://emulator.tp-link.com/TL-SG2216/Index.htm

I was in fact looking for a switch that can go for years without need of "reboot", something really stable and professional.

I need to read more reviews, what should you choose?

Can't remember if that CISCO needed a yearly subscription? The TP-Link looks pretty good, IMO.

I haven't had many issues with a 'switch' for a very, very long time (I really can't remember the last time actually).

I don't think it matters anymore. A switch is a switch. Even when it is labeled 'smart switch'. :)

Having 50 ports and having 16 ports though is a huge difference in price, the power used and noise.

Between these, the TP-Link would be my choice on this quick evaluation.

As I said above I much prefer the SG300 switches. They are very cheap used now because they are EOL. They will have around 4 or 5 years of support and then nothing. The one TP-Link router I bought had very little support and was dropped very quickly. So you need to balance everything.

PS
There is no rebooting my switches, wireless units or routers. They run 24/7. Power outages and firmware updates are the only reasons for restarts.

Is your goal to limit overall network bandwidth a client/device has internally and externally? Or to just limit how much bandwidth it can consume on the Internet?

Is your goal to limit overall network bandwidth a client/device has internally and externally? Or to just limit how much bandwidth it can consume on the Internet?
The goal is to limit the LAN ports.. for example 30Mbit maximum on PORT1 and 60Mbit on PORT2.

=)

So if you plug an AP into a LAN port with a 30Mbit limit you will limit the whole AP regardless of the number of users?

Hello!

Do you guys know any stable switch with good uptime that has bandwith limiter per interface?

Budget: about 100 EURO

I found this one: Netgear GS108T
http://documentation.netgear.com/gs108t/enu/202-10337-01/GS108T_UM-07-05.html

But i am open for more recommendations.
Take care!

try not to do traffic shaping/qos treatment at the switching layer on a port basis - do it in your Router at Layer 3, and Routers generally have more resources to work with, and this will benefit the downstream switch.

common sense...

Netgear on their prosumer and small business lines is just as good as anyone else.

I have to wonder about Netgear's layer 3 capabilities on their switches. Also their ping menu's don't seem to report the time correctly. I think I will stick to Cisco's switches.

TP-Link TL-SG108E

i think i will buy this one, has qos and is ok prices.

the alternative is TP-Link TL-SG2008 but i really dont need all that advanced features.

Both has great reviews.

I will not buy Netgear GS108Ev3 because of some bug it have had that scares me. Netgear GS305E is to new, no real reviews yet.

Don't count on much software support. TP-Link doesn't tend to support their hardware after the sale.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!