What's new

Switching to IPV6 was a lot easier than I thought

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulsiu

Occasional Visitor
Since I was switching to a different ISP, I decided to take the plunge and go IPV6 native. My reason are two-folds. I am upgrading my mom's Cisco E3000 router to another one for security reasons. I wanted to know what I am getting into before I try to fix hers over the phone.

My new ISP is Comcast, which apparently was an early adopter of IPV6. My current router at the time was an old Linksys WRT610N, which claims to have IPV6 compatibility, but in reality does not support native IPV6 but uses a 6to4 tunnel. Even though it is a later model of the WRT610N, the Cisco E3000 doesn't even have 6to4 tunneling. What's up with that?

Any way, I took out the old router. Install the new one in its place and setup the same SSID as the old one. On the IPV6 screen, I set the connection type to native and press apply. I then rebooted the modem. Viola, it worked right away and ipv6 test indicate ipv6 is working without tunneling. All of the old device connected without noticing anything was different. As a bonus, the transfer speed increase particular if the device is further away, which make sense because the new device probably has a better antenna.

Is there anything else I should be doing? The firewall is on.

Paul