What's new

Switching to SSD for decreasing power cosumption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko Polo

Does this have sense?
I have problems which I believe are connected with insufficient power supply in my USB3 port. However I didn't found decent way to check it (to check whether it's power-related or not).

Does this have sense?
I have problems which I believe are connected with insufficient power supply in my USB3 port. However I didn't found decent way to check it (to check whether it's power-related or not).

I use USB3 SSD without any issues. An easy way to check if your issue is power related would be connecting a power supply to the disk enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not recommend using an SSD on the router, due to lack of Trim support, unless you never really do any writes to it.

I do not recommend using an SSD on the router, due to lack of Trim support, unless you never really do any writes to it.
As I got from TRIM description, lack of TRIM incurs only shorter lifetime of SSD. I suppose, I agree to that price. Setting up additional power supply is a real pain in the butt for me.

As I got from TRIM description, lack of TRIM incurs only shorter lifetime of SSD. I suppose, I agree to that price. Setting up additional power supply is a real pain in the butt for me.

No, lack of trim implies drop in performance once the SSD runs out of unallocated flash cell space, and need to do multiple read/erase/program operations to write new data to disk.

It might not be that noticeable on a router where the bottleneck would be the USB port and the CPU however. Just something to keep in mind if you eventually move the SSD back to a computer - you might want to do a secure erase then to regain full performance.

A 3.5 enclosure with independent power supply and a classic HDD could be a good solution. Those usually spin down after a bunch of minutes. And even the firmware has a feature to force that spin down.

You can try using ext2 or ext4 without journaling. Ext4 "by default" is a bit too stressing for disks which lots of writing operations.

Many of the low-end USB to SATA enclosures don't support TRIM either - some do, granted, but many don't.

Running a bus-powered drive on any Router/AP is not advised - better to have external power to the drive.

(same reason why Pi folks do not recommend bus powering RPi's from a Router/AP - power might not always be enough, or consistent enough to prevent corruption)

You can try using ext2 or ext4 without journaling. Ext4 "by default" is a bit too stressing for disks which lots of writing operations.

If Bus powering, probably want to have the journal on, not disabled, so it makes recovery of the drive a bit easier if power is interrupted and splats the file system...

Does this have sense?

If that is the case how about modifying USB3 port for higher current rating like USB charge port on laptops.
There is no enclosure by my hand right now.

I suppose switching to SSD will solve my problems too.

Well for the price of SSD, it may cost less to get an enclosure with self-contained PSU.

Haven't you also said (more than once) that you don't recommend using any router as a fileserver?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!