What's new

Swtiching over from Powerline to Moca 2.0 - New Setup Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vmirjamali

New Around Here
So I'm currently using powerline boxes which is netting me only 50mbps and I read about Moca 2.0 recently.
I want to know if anyone can tell me if this is possible for my place.

I have coax coming from outside the home powered by spectrum sitting inside an access box with 4 other coax lines, going to the living room and 3 other bedrooms.

The sb6183 cable modem is currently hooked up to the living room coax cable, and my wifi router/powerline connects from there.

Is there a way to get every room connected to moca ethernet somehow with this setup, so i can disable my powerline adapter setup? I don't use cable tv, just spectrum cable internet. I can't cut modify the walls so actual cat6/7e is out of the question at this time. If anyone has any detailed help it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been searching the internet for hours with no luck.

Thanks!

I'm on their 400/20 tier. I'm using the sb6183. I believe it's using 16/4 channels. Yes it's 3.0 not 3.1

Last edited:
Many on these forums have reported MoCA 2.0 is working fine up to DOCSIS 3.1. I suspect you will be just fine.

Im curious would the moca signal, send ethernet back through the same coax cable that is being used to power the modem which it gets the ethernet from?

Basically.
-Access box with 4 cables, and one coming in. Splitter attached. one of the coax cables in goes to living room which them connects to modem. Would I be able to use moca in this situation? If so what filters and splitters would I need to buy? I'd be using moca 2.5 from gocoax if this works.

Thanks, I'll get that PoE filter then. By smaller you mean, smallest frequency?

The first one is 5-1675Mhz while the second one is 5-2500 MHz. Size wise they are both the same 4 way splitters.

He means a splitter with the number of ports you need, not more. So if you have 5 out bound cables and one inbound, then you need a 6 port splitter ( 1 input, 5 output). For moca it need to have the frequency range of the first one you listed and bidirectional. Otherwise it will block the return signal between outputs.

you would need to rewire the box, disconnecting LAN from WAN, and if possible having separate wires to the central point of your switching, but incase you're stuck with the same lines its not too bad compared to powerline. Highest i got with powerline was 10% rated theoratical. That means that i got 200Mb/s from a powerline device rated for 2Gb/s .

Hopefully it should be cheaper for you for moca vs powerline as good powerline boxes are pricey.

you would need to rewire the box, disconnecting LAN from WAN, and if possible having separate wires to the central point of your switching, but incase you're stuck with the same lines its not too bad compared to powerline. Highest i got with powerline was 10% rated theoratical. That means that i got 200Mb/s from a powerline device rated for 2Gb/s .

Hopefully it should be cheaper for you for moca vs powerline as good powerline boxes are pricey.
I luckily got the gocoax 2.5 boxes on the way to me.. i guess we'll find out how well they perform on the same line. I was using the Extollo LANSocket 1500 powerline and was getting a max of 30-50 mbps out of 400mbps, so I put them up on ebay while i wait and see how these will perform. Powerline for me performs on par maybe worse than wifi sadly.

They will do very well... I have bonded MoCA 2.0 and they deliver 940Mbps over a 40 meter coax segment. You won't get more than that with the gocoax 2.5 as the limit is the GigE port, not MoCA in this case.

I luckily got the gocoax 2.5 boxes on the way to me.. i guess we'll find out how well they perform on the same line. I was using the Extollo LANSocket 1500 powerline and was getting a max of 30-50 mbps out of 400mbps, so I put them up on ebay while i wait and see how these will perform. Powerline for me performs on par maybe worse than wifi sadly.
worse than wifi.

On 2.4Ghz wireless N, 30% of link speed is your practical speed. on 5Ghz wifi AC 50% of link speed is your practical speed. However when it comes to latency, a fast wifi setup is only a bit slower than LAN, while LAN is typically around 0.3ms (<1ms for windows peeps), wifi tends to be around 1-2ms, but can have spikes to very high latency and increases on high traffic. powerline is very consistent around 5ms of latency.

So the good news is I installed the moca 2.5 system successfully.. just waiting on the poe filter to arrive to finish it completely. I did notice my link speed seems very slow at 600mbps according to the stat page. The good news is I'm maxing out my internet connection at 400mbps but I feel like i can improve it further. Anyone have any ideas? I attached my diagram and some status page.

https://imgur.com/a/mO7RAqp

What are you guys getting on the link speed page? Anything higher?

Sorry, I don't see the problem... The last screenshot shows how from adapter 1 to adapter 2 you have 3.5Gbps and from adapter 2 to adapter 1 you also have 3.5Gbps. Thats the physical layer connection (PHY) so you should have 2.5Gbps bandwidth. The adapters only have 1Gbps Ethenret ports so the max you can transmit between any two devices is 1Gbps. And since your internet connection is 400Mbps that the maximum web browsing speed.

I suggest you use something like iperf3 to test between 2 PCs and you should achieve 1Gpbs.

Regarding the "my link speed seems very slow at 600mbps" I think you are looking at the last picture yes? That's the single channel phy speed, and looks good too. Remember that MoCA 2.5 bonds multiple channels.

Yep you were right it was just fine. Once I added the poe filter to the line, the issues with the line got fixed and the speed maxed out. I still can't believe how fast these are.. im getting 30x the speed of powerline tech. Amazing.

That's because PLA is like having your kids hold the old rabbit-ear antennae for your B/W TV and Moca 2 is a solid alternative to good ole Ethernet LAN. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!