What's new

Sync NASes over Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitbucket

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone know if a pair of Buffalo Linkstation Pro (LS-XH1.0TL) single-drive NASes can sync across the Internet? I would like to buy a pair and install one in my home and a second in my parents home about 40 miles away. Ideally they would rsync regularly. I have read multiple posts on this site about syncing nas to nas, but it seems like those examples are only applicable if the two NASes are on the same network? Both homes have high-speed Internet of course, and they're actually both using the same cable modem ISP.

if your nas supports ssh and rsync

If they support rsync and ssh you should be able to make this work.
the default rsync port is 873 iirc

To test you could get rsync for windows and run it with --daemon switch both PCS (yours and parents). Then try to initiate a connection from both ends.

If you have ssh, it gives you the added capability of changing the ports (by add --rsh='ssh -p 8855'), in case 873 is blocked by your ISP.

Should be very doable and you can test with PCs before investing in the stations. Hope that helps

A lifetime to store
http://eonstorage.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!