What's new

Synology Cloud Sync Feature - what is your experience?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
After reading the NAS reviews and considering my requirements, I am leaning toward the Synology DS216 line of models, either the DS216+II, DS216play or DS216. The purpose is to store files from a 1TB drive I brought with me from USA, backup files from my PC and other devices, and use it as a location for DVD and music files I copied for playing on Plex Media Server. The concern I then have is how best to backup the NAS. Synology has the Cloud Sync feature for backing up to third party cloud providers such as Dropbox or Amazon Cloud Drive.

Can anyone comment on his or her experience with the Cloud Sync feature? Thank you.

Hi Xentrk,
I own a DS216Play, Cloud Sync works just fine. Whe you would like to use Plex, you might run into transcoding issues. So check the Plex forums.

Hi Xentrk,
I own a DS216Play, Cloud Sync works just fine. Whe you would like to use Plex, you might run into transcoding issues. So check the Plex forums.

Thank you. Good to know. I was wondering if I was going to get some feedback. :). I recently installed Plex server on a raspberry pi 3 and it is working fine playing movies from my 1TB WD Hard Drive plugged into the USB3 port on the AC88U router. I call the 1 TB WD Hard Drive my poor man NAS solution. But I am out of room for backups. And the previous tenants left a mass of DVD's I would like to rip to disk. So it's time to pull the trigger on a NAS. I'll do as you say and check out the Plex forums. However, I am happy with what I've seen the little Pi3 do so far. Other than the Pi3 going to sleep on me each night, it works fairly good.

Don't throw out your pi just yet, and check the specs of the different DS216 models. Just after i bought my 216play, DSM6 was rolled out. Some packages (AD-server) werent available on the 216play, but were on the 216+II....
Oh, off-topic and depending on your bandwith, but plex works fine over a VPN (G2G an OpenVPN...)

Don't throw out your pi just yet, and check the specs of the different DS216 models. Just after i bought my 216play, DSM6 was rolled out. Some packages (AD-server) werent available on the 216play, but were on the 216+II....
Oh, off-topic and depending on your bandwith, but plex works fine over a VPN (G2G an OpenVPN...)
Interesting, I saw the review of the DS216j on small net builders. When I went to synology web site, I saw the different DS216 models now being offered. So that created a pickle for me as to which one to choose. The DS216II has the 64 bit processor so that appealed to me. But it does come at a higher cost. Which may be worth it as one tends to have these for awhile.. I'll do some more reading of the reviews online this weekend.