What's new

Synology Diskstation/ASUS Router/VPN/Plex????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DoctorRobert44

New Around Here
Hi to anyone out there,

I have a small query based on the setup of ExpressVPN on my network whilst still allowing 'remote access' to my Plex account when all my media is stored on my Synology DiskStation.

Currently I have the the VPN setup on my ASUS DSL-AC68U (running Merlin firmware) which is all working great.

But my small issue is that I've had to setup 'policy rules' for that VPN to basically disable the VPN on just my NAS so it allows the 'remote access' feature to work with Plex. This feature is now all setup correctly after setting a static ip for the NAS with manual port forwarding but it does mean my NAS is the one device on my network that isn't secured by the VPN.

Is there any other ways to achieve this setup? Maybe setup the same VPN client with a similar setup of 'policy rules' on the NAS which allows just Plex the access it needs to function correctly?

Or can I still achieve this through my router?

Will appreciate any light on this and many thanks to anyone who spares there time to answer.

Thanks

I’m not sure why you want you nas behind a vpn. If you do that you will usually take a serious performance hit. But, if you really just want Plex outside your vpn then you have to use firewall rules. I think it would be easier to run a VM with Plex and connect that to a second router without a vpn. Most nas boxes have 2 lan ports but not many nas devices are powerful enough to run a vm. In any case, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to use policy based routing if the vpn client is on the router.
You can add the vpn for your nas in the nas network area as a new interface.
Then enable multiple gateways. The router (for me) appears smart enough to send LAN traffic over the LAN and off-net traffic via the internal vpn client.
Now the work around I use for remote nas access (WAN to LAN) is I put a DDNS on the router. Port forward the appropriate ports from WAN to NAS lan IP. I can remotely manage the nas but still have the nas use its vpn client connection for other traffic.

I have not figured out how to get the nas to use its own DDNS resolver over the LAN so thats why I use one on the router & port forward.