Synology drives only (DS1522+) - OUCH!

Sky

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to replace my NAS, while keeping the old one around for backups. At the top of my list was the DS1520+, which seemed the one to buy until I heard the DS1522+ is expected this year. Then, I thought the latter would be better -- two years' more software maintenance -- but looking at the spec sheet, Synology will fully support it only with Synology hard drives. This seems to be a gouging move, as they are priced at about twice the reputable competition (WD Gold, WD Red Pro, Seagate Ironwolf Pro). So now, I'm thinking (especially as I have drives on hand), I'd be better off with the older model.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I missing anything? What do other Synology users think about this money grab?

Thanks!
In reality it's not quite like that. They will fully support the NAS, but if an issue comes down to one or more of the drives themselves, they back away. That makes sense since the drive-proper support needs to come from the drive vendor/manufacturer.

You can use third-party drives and not sacrifice any support if you buy drives off of their compatibility list. Those drive-firmware-NAS combinations have been tested and shown reliable. You have to be careful here. What was tested and shown compatible in say a DS918+, is not necessarily compatible with a DS9920+, and vice versa. Also, just because drive brand-model-fw 123.123 is compatible with the NAS you are using, does not mean drive brand-model-fw 123.125 is going to be compatible. <<— really important!

*If* you spend the extra $ to buy their drives, then they support the drives, they ensure the firmware updates work, and … drumroll … they will ship you replacement gear up front and await the return of your bad gear. Advance shipping on RMA's is no small thing. So yes, their drives are expensive, but they include a lot of value-add.

Sky

Sky

Regular Contributor
Synology Extended Warranty
This is a "new" offer from Synology, so you can purchase now and add (at additional cost) an extra two years of coverage. When new model is released, and last years model is suitable for you, then buy old model with extended warranty.
Regarding the Upgrade Path/Cost:
I bought my NAS and 4-10TB WD Reds new, yet bought Synology memory Like New from Amazon at 1/2 the original price. I did the same with 2-512GB Samsung 970 EVO Nvme sticks. All memory and drives are Synology approved so no warranty issues, if needed.
Recently Synology has taken a Dark Side approach towards HDD and memory approval. I noticed in a Synology forum, more members are getting "Non-Supported Drive" "Drive Critical" warnings with hdds.

@Tech Junky with his "I put in a 5GE Ethernet card and can pull 400MB/s + off the "NAS"
does stomp the heck out of my puny built-in 1Gbe, but Synology might play catch-up in the next round, and include faster connectivity? Although, that is what many hoped for and didn't get in the *20 models.
They don't show much of a hint at catching up, either with USB3 Gen 2 or 5/10Gbe. Even their '22 stuff that is upgradeable for Ethernet is only 2.5Gbe and that with an optional extra price card.

The warnings are annoying to be sure. They've died down a lot with DSM 7.1-42261 and Syno has backed off being so "in your face" about this stuff. They were scaring a lot of people when what they were really trying to say was simply, "If you have a problem with a third-party item, you'll have to talk to them for support.".

I would not expect Ford to support Chevrolet's stuff and see no difference here.

I bundled my NAS into a PC DIY build to getaway from this sort of thing a few years ago. It comes down to convenience and flashy UI if that's what you're looking for.
This really is a great way to go for a lot of people, if you can make it work. For me it's a non-starter because I have to leave a what amounts to a complex system that can be effectively managed in-house by other people who probably will be less technically-inclined than even my limited ability. It's more than disck storage; it's also web hosting, email hosting, remote access, multi-site functionality, etc., all on a razor-thin budget. For my purposes, I don't think anyone holds a candle to Synology's software that can be "immediately stepped into and taken over with minimal pain" — today. Tomorrow? Who knows?

Sky

Regular Contributor
@Clark Griswald

Benefits of DIY is…
You are absolutely right in all of this of course. I did the very same thing in essentially the very same way around '97-'98, but things changed. The use case became a lot more complex and as I have aged our access to competent personnel able to step in and take over has diminished as those inroads and contacts were mine and they too have aged-out.

In ways it feels like the old days of hotrodding a 1918 Ford giving way to today's EV's. I miss the old stuff, but the new toys have their places too.

Time to pull out the '39 Cad and go for a ride, :cool:

Sky

Regular Contributor
I did the same with 2-512GB Samsung 970 EVO Nvme sticks.
How are those sticks working out for you? I have 4-EVO960 SSDs in a DS920+ and they are solid. I tried shoving some 4-EVO 970 SSDs into another new DS920+ a few months back. All four of them failed solidly dead… D-E-D within 90-days. That's when I learned the nuances of their "compatibility lists". Ouch!

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
No issues with EVO 970
I placed in my 918+ from beginning, so I don't have any comparison to NAS performance prior to cache upgrade.

Mike-48

Occasional Visitor
You can use third-party drives and not sacrifice any support if you buy drives off of their compatibility list.
When I looked at the compatibility list for the DS1522+, it contained only Synology-branded drives. That's my concern, since I already own 3d party drives I want to use.

Tech Junky

Very Senior Member
@Sky
DIY isn't for every use case but, it's a better deal. For all of the functions you're using it for

also web hosting, email hosting, remote access, multi-site functionality, etc.,
This can all be done w/ Linux it's just not going to work for dumb people that have been raised on MSFT.

Everyone / every situation is different in the needs they want to accomplish. For a single site w/o the enterprise / business stuff it's easy to roll. If you get a freelance Linux head to handle change requests it shouldn't be that big of a deal though to setup and run. Maintenance is minimal compared to MS. If you dig into systems / companies that have an online presence the underlying box is linux the majority of the time. Most servers have bare metal linux + virtualized servers on top of it. Most of the networking gear once you strip the overlay from it is running linux as well. Even a Mac is linux under the pretty facade.

Mike-48

Occasional Visitor
In reality it's not quite like that. They will fully support the NAS, but if an issue comes down to one or more of the drives themselves, they back away. That makes sense since the drive-proper support needs to come from the drive vendor/manufacturer.

You can use third-party drives and not sacrifice any support if you buy drives off of their compatibility list. Those drive-firmware-NAS combinations have been tested and shown reliable. You have to be careful here. What was tested and shown compatible in say a DS918+, is not necessarily compatible with a DS9920+, and vice versa. Also, just because drive brand-model-fw 123.123 is compatible with the NAS you are using, does not mean drive brand-model-fw 123.125 is going to be compatible. <<— really important!

*If* you spend the extra $ to buy their drives, then they support the drives, they ensure the firmware updates work, and … drumroll … they will ship you replacement gear up front and await the return of your bad gear. Advance shipping on RMA's is no small thing. So yes, their drives are expensive, but they include a lot of value-add.

Sky
Thanks, Sky. I might consider S. drives if I didn't own drives already (WD Gold and Seagate IronWolf Pro). Happy to say, the compatibility list for the DS1522+ has expanded since I first posted. Sorry to say, it includes lower-grade WD and Seagate drives, but not the ones I own.

NXIL

Occasional Visitor
I would not expect Ford to support Chevrolet's stuff and see no difference here

except Ford and Chevy take Interstate and Die Hard batteries, and Goodyear and Bridgestone and Michelin tires, etc

choice is a good thing

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to replace my NAS, while keeping the old one around for backups. At the top of my list was the DS1520+, which seemed the one to buy until I heard the DS1522+ is expected this year. Then, I thought the latter would be better -- two years' more software maintenance -- but looking at the spec sheet, Synology will fully support it only with Synology hard drives. This seems to be a gouging move, as they are priced at about twice the reputable competition (WD Gold, WD Red Pro, Seagate Ironwolf Pro). So now, I'm thinking (especially as I have drives on hand), I'd be better off with the older model.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I missing anything? What do other Synology users think about this money grab?

Thanks!
I haven't read the entire thread yet but you can modify a file to get it to WD Gold, WD Red and IronWolf drives to work with it. A friend of mine loaded his DS3622xs+ with IronWolf Pro drives.