What's new

Synology ds120j

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I now like the Synology ds120j since guys spoon fed me on the basics which saved me time. It does what I need. The Windows interface and mapped drives are working good for me. I am now moving my music to the NAS. It is about 750 GB. The ds120j seems to run just under 50 MB/s on the 3 hour transfer. This a 1 time deal. I have my wife set up also. I have a few things to figure out over time. Accessing pictures from an iPad if possible. The other thing is backups. I have to figure how I will do them. I could just use a usb drive or maybe buy a second ds120j to run on my other big network. Then I can cross backup the 2 units. This would give me NAS access from both of my networks. It could be I want a bigger unit later on. I will have to wait and see. Heat could be a problem since they are now in the corner of an upper shelf closet. I currently have an Arris SB8200, some Cisco switches and Cisco router. My server rack is turned off and I am going to sell it. I need to keep the heat to a minimum. I live in Texas and July and August is tough.

PS
My wife quit her Zoom conference and I turned off the TV streaming and I saw the NAS hit 62 MB/s. It won't stay there but it is running a little higher. Go figure. I should add Zoom and TV streaming are on the same layer 2 network.

Last edited:
One last question. Do any of you with NASs run a router block on WAN interface? I was thinking about blocking the NAS from going on the internet. I would open it up for software updates when they come out.

I haven't blocked mine at the WAN.....yet. It is something that is on my to-do list, but haven't gotten there. I somewhat gave up on my quest to manage egress flows based upon IP since I started toying with IPv6 this year. No point in crazy strict controls on IPv4 if I can't implement similar controls on IPv6. I don't think my NAS even has a v6 IP right now....but....just took my motivation and killed it.

Now trying to understand how v6 can be managed in a similar granular manner in a consumer network. I get how to do it in an Enterprise....NAC....its the only way.

If your Zoom and TV Streaming were impacting NAS transfer speeds, something is up with your network. Unless one of those devices was the source of your music transfers to your NAS, you should be nowhere near the limits of your Layer2 environment. Pretty sure mine was closer to 700Mbps-750Mbps and held fairly steady with plenty of other activity going on across the network. The only time my transfers slowed down was if something else was reading/writing on the old Windows file server that I was copying from.