What's new

Synology DS1517+: Direct connection to Mac Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick van Bavel

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a DS1517+ with 4 WD Red 5TB drives in SHR. I have a direct ethernet connection between the NAS and my Mac Pro (Gigabit Ethernet) which is responsible for streaming my movies. I have a direct connection so my streaming does not stress my network/router double (once from the NAS to the Mac, and then from the Mac through the router to the client that is watching). I have given the ethernet ports on the DS and Mac static ip addresses and mounted the shares via AFP and this works fine, except it is much slower than 1Gbps. How is it possible my Mac does not read/write at full speed? And more important, any idea how to improve this?

Regards Patrick

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-24 at 15.44.01.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-24 at 15.44.01.png
    590 KB · Views: 497
Put both the NAS and the Mac Pro on the Router LAN ports.

Streaming is not stress on the router - more than enough bandwidth across the LAN ports.

Thanks for your reply! The case is that when the NAS is downloading (between 10 - 12,5 MB/s) while I am streaming the gigabit connection of the NAS seemed to fill up. Now the case is as follows: I have one ethernet from my router to the NAS, one from my router to my Mac and one between the NAS and Mac. When the NAS downloads, the connection Router-NAS is used. When the Mac streams media (from the NAS to my TV for example) it uses the NAS-Mac connection to get the media and sends it over ethernet through the router to my tv. In this case, the downloads (or other data transfers, backups, etc) never use the same connections as the stream. That's why I configured it that way ;)

Is it possible to make the direct connection faster than it is? In the attachments you can see what speeds it is delivering now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-24 at 21.48.43.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-24 at 21.48.43.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 437
I have one ethernet from my router to the NAS, one from my router to my Mac and one between the NAS and Mac.
:eek: Unless the two Ethernet ports on the NAS are individually addressable (with different IP addresses) you have just created a network loop, which would be very bad.

Yes I did that! The IP of the NAS direct port is 169.254.240.22 and on the Mac 169.254.240.21 while the rest of my network is on the 192.168.2.xxx range.
Shouldn't be a problem than right?

So, does someone know any way to improve the connection speed? :)
The speed issue may be with the DSM AFP and not with the network/ethernet setup. Initially I had good speed between my iMac and the Synology on WIFI and Ethernet. Synology did an couple of updates and upload speed on the iMac went in the tank. Windows speeds via SMB were still very fast so I disabled AFP in the NAS and used SMB on the iMac. Speed back!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

The speed issue may be with the DSM AFP and not with the network/ethernet setup. Initially I had good speed between my iMac and the Synology on WIFI and Ethernet. Synology did an couple of updates and upload speed on the iMac went in the tank. Windows speeds via SMB were still very fast so I disabled AFP in the NAS and used SMB on the iMac. Speed back!

Some years ago, Apple announced that they were deprecating AFP, so opting for SMB is likely your best option at this point.