What's new

Synology ds1817+ or Asustor as6208t?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roscolo

Regular Contributor
Looking to add a NAS to my network. Noob to NAS. First priority is for backup. Lots of large image files.

I also would like for folks to be able to integrate with my website so that folks can send me large files straight to my NAS instead of the remote server my site is on or via Dropbox, Box like I currently do it. Not sure what is involved there.

Third priority is for mail server.

Finally I'll also use it to store movies / shows.

Looking at Synology ds1817+, but the fact that the new units include the same CPU known for failing in the ds1815 has me concerned.

Next choice is Asustor 6208t. Looks like Synology has a more mature OS, apps, ease of use compared to the Asustor, but I'm used to Asus "clunky looks but works" apps.

Price difference between the two is not a factor for me.

Asustor vs. Synology: any reason for me to go with one over the other?

Long term Synology user here, and I've had a few Asustor units in my time too.

My recommendation would without doubt be a QNAP. The TVS-863 is a very nice unit, has a decent 4-core AMD SOC, relatively cheap compared to the Synology, and I much prefer QTS over Synology's OS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!